Now THIS is cool! Foldscope

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
A paper microscope that costs 50 cents to make and can save millions of lives worldwide.

foldscope.jpg

Imagine if clinics in developing countries were equipped with an inexpensive yet durable tool that could help medical personnel identify and diagnose a variety of deadly diseases like Malaria, Chagas disease, or Leishmaniosis? For millions of people around the world waiting to be diagnosed and treated, such a tool could be a life-saver.

Manu Prakash, a professor at Stanford University and his students have developed a microscope out of a flat sheet of paper, a watch battery, LED, and optical units that when folded together, much like origami, creates a functional instrument with the resolution of 800 nanometers – basically magnifying an object up to 2,000 times.

Called Foldscope, the microscope is extremely inexpensive to manufacture, costing between fifty-cents and a dollar per instrument. And because the microscope is assembled primarily from paper and optical components the size of a grain of sand, it is virtually indestructible.

Foldscope also differs from the microscopes typically found in science labs because it’s not only portable, but it also has the ability to project an image on any surface, allowing a larger group of people the ability to look at an image simultaneously.

Prakash is hoping that because the Foldscope is so cheap to manufacture and easy to assemble that everyone will have access to the world of microscopy and one day every kid will have a Foldscope in their backpacks or tucked away in their pocket.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-co...could-save-millions-lives-133616732.html?vp=1

http://www.ted.com/talks/manu_prakash_a_50_cent_microscope_that_folds_like_origami#

Very, very innovative. The simplicity of the scope in contrast with the potential impact of it are astounding.

now that is awesome. I love seeing hi tech meet the needs of the developing world. I want to buy one.

I know that this is an older thread, but when DIGGER27 first posted it, my interest was greatly peaked. I signed up to be a beta tester the day I read this and I received my Foldscope in the mail today. I am looking forward to using it.

Thanks again DIGGER27 for posting this. You made it possible for me to get one and to be a tester.

Doug

I know that this is an older thread, but when DIGGER27 first posted it, my interest was greatly peaked. I signed up to be a beta tester the day I read this and I received my Foldscope in the mail today. I am looking forward to using it.

Thanks again DIGGER27 for posting this. You made it possible for me to get one and to be a tester.

Doug

Dang cool TF! Post up on it when you can, interested!

Back
Top Bottom