Penny CRH find

frankiefry

Forum Supporter
I've gotten into the side-hobby of doing a little CRH lately. Mostly pennies, but sometimes nickels or dimes. So far I've found 2 silver dimes out of 30 rolls that I have gone through over a period of a few weeks. The nickels haven't been as productive. I have found a few old ones from the 40's, but none silver. I did find one 1939 Canadian nickel with the king on it and that's pretty neat. So anyway, last night I was going through 10 rolls of pennies and found 5 wheats and a British 1 pence. One of the wheats was 1915 D, so I looked it up and gosh darn it, it's one year off from being worth $125. It IS worth $1 though, so I guess for 1 cent that isn't a bad return. Have any of you out there ever found a really good coin doing the CRH thing? I've heard the stories about people finding whole rolls of silver and stuff like that, but what about the one special key date coin? Just my curiosity at work. : )

I haven't had any really good luck hunting bank rolls for about 15 years now. I got some rolls of halves back then that were mostly franklin and walkers and silver kennedies. About half of them were silver and I got about 6 rolls. I have had better luck buying rolls of old coins and pulling good dates that way. I got two 1908-S Indian cents from a batch of Indian cent rolls I bought, and just last week I bought 6 rolls of Morgan and peace dollars and pulled a 1928 peace dollar, it is in AG condition but worth alot more than the silver value I paid for it! Here was my latest attempt at bank roll hunting for halves: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=44489

Now if I could just figure out how to get rid of all those halves since my bank doesn't want them back!:gaah:

I haven't found really good coins. When I CRH pennies, I will generally find about 1 wheat per 100 pennines.

I didnt really find any coins of great value but have found my share of coins. Ive found quite a few buffalos, bunch of WWIIs, tons of wheaties, 2 IH, 5 Barber Nickels, 4 rosies, 1 mercury, Quite a few 40% JFKs and some 90% JFKs.
Edit: Also many different types of foreigns. Some being really low in mintages.
Ive also found many different errors. Off centers, strike throughs, clips, etc.....

Ive pretty much sold em off though. I basically just like to keep one of each and sell the doubles and so on.

Back
Top Bottom