Sos

Bill_Ace_350

Elite Member
Been having some cravings for some SOS like they used to serve in the mess hall.

Want to make some.

Anyone have a recipe they wouldn't mind sharing?

Holy chipped, can't imagine anyone really having the desire for that. But believe it or not when I was in Hawaii, I saw so much spam, I had the desire to fry some up. And after three bites, my desire was more than quenched.

This looks like what my mom use to make, my dad loved it. But unfortunately can't ask them anymore.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chipped-beef-on-toast-98713

Holy chipped, can't imagine anyone really having the desire for that. But believe it or not when I was in Hawaii, I saw so much spam, I had the desire to fry some up. And after three bites, my desire was more than quenched.

This looks like what my mom use to make, my dad loved it. But unfortunately can't ask them anymore.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chipped-beef-on-toast-98713

Thanks for link Big Treble.

I thought the same thing until the cook accidentally poured it on top of my breakfast potatos one morning.

As a PVT, I didn't say anything. Tried it, and fell in love with it immediately!.

The SOS we had was always ground beef . And it was poured over the eggs and potatoes , and I didn't complain either . I've made it before , used to make it for my daughter when she was little , she loved it .

Both my parents were born in the thirties, and were raised by a depression era family. That means our SOS, was made with 1 package of Carl Budig, roast beef. LOL.

God I haven't had that in decades. My dad also loved it. Makes me want to try it once more. An other dish my dad loved is giblets. Chicken gizzards and gravy. I grew up kind of poor but would not change a thing. As my dad did every thing he could to provide for us. Kids today would not even know what we are talking about. Love Ya Dad.

Yep, I remember the creamed beef we had in the navy and enjoyed it, and when I was training for aviation electronics at the Naval Aviation Base in Millington Tennessee I decided to go into the local town to have breakfast and even though it wasn't part of what I asked for when placing my order, it seems they will automatically give you grits with whatever you order for your breakfast order, I had to ask what it was :lol:

Anyhow I liked it, I had never had it before then because I grew up in Maryland, but now that we moved to South Carolina about 11 years ago I got in the habit of occasionally eating grits, at home I use the instant grits, it tastes good and is easy to fix.

grits.jpg

Last edited:
I never had any decent Army food until I was assigned to the 101st Division Headquarters at Bien Hoa, Vietnam. They had civilian cooks.

When I was in the Corps , we always said , " It doesn't have to taste good , it's just gotta make a turd ".

Thats like one of the BEST lines in all of linguistics creation! :laughing: perfect to use at a 5 star steak house in some big city with business clients!...When the fancy pants waiter comes over and asks, "How is your steak tonight?"....with a shrug of the shoulders, a guy ups and says..."Oh hell, it'll make a turd":laughing::laughing: Everybody at the table just freakin' roars!:laughing::laughing:
Mud

Thats like one of the BEST lines in all of linguistics creation! :laughing: perfect to use at a 5 star steak house in some big city with business clients!...When the fancy pants waiter comes over and asks, "How is your steak tonight?"....with a shrug of the shoulders, a guy ups and says..."Oh hell, it'll make a turd":laughing::laughing: Everybody at the table just freakin' roars!:laughing::laughing:
Mud

......something like this ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

steakhousepwsteak.jpg

Back
Top Bottom