• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What steps to take

Coppertop

Elite Member
Hey guys,newbie here.
Just wondering what steps or procedures do you take after finding a rare coin?
Do you wash it or not,do you seal it,do you have it graded being dug up
Or is that a waste of time?
If the coin is worth something,do you sell it on ebay or somewhere more
Ritzy?
I guess a lot of stuff depends of what you have.

Why not share what you have or think you have and let us help if we can. Cant go on such little information.
Don't have anything as of yet.
Just want to be prepared so if I do find something of possible value,I don't
want to screw it up.
Members here say wash the coin in olive oil or mineral oil
being best.
Others say don't wash it.

Really depends upon the coin. If the coin is indiscernible then yes clean it. All coins can be washed mildly but no rubbing till you determine what you have. If its in good shape or better learn how to gently clean them, there are videos on how to do so. You don't want to risk defacing a coon that could net you a few hundred or thousand. Drtones24k has a video of a coin he found and later sold for $6500.00 so being careful is necessary and learning what you have.

I know DR. Tones from the Dirtfishing crew found a key date barber quarter last year and was kind enough to video the experience from the moment of finding it to watching the auction of the coin end.
It was a pretty coil video, I will try to find it and post if here for you.

Really depends upon the coin. If the coin is indiscernible then yes clean it. All coins can be washed mildly but no rubbing till you determine what you have. If its in good shape or better learn how to gently clean them, there are videos on how to do so. You don't want to risk defacing a coon that could net you a few hundred or thousand. Drtones24k has a video of a coin he found and later sold for $6500.00 so being careful is necessary and learning what you have.
Ok thanks fir the tips.

Back
Top Bottom