139.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 1937 New Zealond Half Crown Ring 006.JPG
    1937 New Zealond Half Crown Ring 006.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 1937 New Zealond Half Crown Ring 007.JPG
    1937 New Zealond Half Crown Ring 007.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Nice clean job Kieth. You seem to have making rings down pat.

I notice you havn't posted any coin finds lately. Is the CTX put away for the winter?

Nice clean job Kieth. You seem to have making rings down pat.

I notice you havn't posted any coin finds lately. Is the CTX put away for the winter?

Thanks Al. Unfortunately I destroyed some nice coins going through the learning curve.
Haven't put away the CTX, just haven't been out much and can't seem to find anything worthy of posting lately.

Yes, definitely nice work! I had a peek at your others as well, nice!
What year was the Nova Scotia one cent ring, 1861?

And a dumb question: when you initially drill the coins, is there a specific size hole that you start with for different ring sizes?

Pete

I would love to find one of your rings on the beach.... hh:laughing:

That is true craftsmanship at it's best. I really like the work you do.Well done.

Yes, definitely nice work! I had a peek at your others as well, nice!
What year was the Nova Scotia one cent ring, 1861?

And a dumb question: when you initially drill the coins, is there a specific size hole that you start with for different ring sizes?

Pete

Thank you Ludlow, hoser, and 007!
Pete, The Nova Scotia was a 1864. the hole size that I start with doesn't affect the size of the ring as much as you might think. Regardless of the starting hole size the ring size always ends up roughly the same when I have folded it down the mandrel as far as it will go. I start with the smallest hole I can to preserve as much coin as I can and give myself some "filing" room. Starting with a larger hole just means you would be starting to fold the coin further down the mandrel. The sizing is done after the ring is as far down the mandrel as it will go, then it goes to the shop press in the doming block. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you Ludlow, hoser, and 007!
Pete, The Nova Scotia was a 1864. the hole size that I start with doesn't affect the size of the ring as much as you might think. Regardless of the starting hole size the ring size always ends up roughly the same when I have folded it down the mandrel as far as it will go. I start with the smallest hole I can to preserve as much coin as I can and give myself some "filing" room. Starting with a larger hole just means you would be starting to fold the coin further down the mandrel. The sizing is done after the ring is as far down the mandrel as it will go, then it goes to the shop press in the doming block. I hope that makes sense.

Yup, sounds good to me. :yes:
I may have to take up the challenge over the winter and try my hand at this as it looks like it would go hand in hand with detecting. ;)
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom