Green Chili

recipe for firewxman green chili

Ingredients

Pork (half pound or so)
roasted chopped green chilies...the hotter the better ( a couple pounds should work fine)
2 cloves minced garlic
a half of a small onion diced very fine
a can of tomatoes...rotels work great...you can use a half can of tomato sauce instead
2 tablespoons of bacon grease
salt and pepper to taste
a tablespoon or so corn masa

Simmer pork until it falls apart using 15 cups or so of water, remove pork from stock. Make sure you have at least 12 cups of stock, if you do not, you may need to add water to the pot from time to time when the pork is simmering.

Add everything else to the stock except the corn masa...simmer for two hours or so until the chili reduces to your liking. At this point I make a slurry of the corn masa and water, then add to the chili and let thicken further. I like a thick chili for smothered burritos.

I like to add a small amount of the pork back into the chili about an hour before its done, the remainder of the pork is used to make carnitas.

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Many Thanks!

Recipe looks like it will make great Chili. Do you brown the pork before you simmer it?
Many Thanks & HH
John Morton

Love me some Hatch Green Chile. Hatch is only about 2.5 hours south of where I live. We eat it all year round in just about everything. If I had to move away from New Mexico I'd have to have it shipped to me. I'm hooked for life.

Love me some Hatch Green Chile. Hatch is only about 2.5 hours south of where I live. We eat it all year round in just about everything. If I had to move away from New Mexico I'd have to have it shipped to me. I'm hooked for life.

I'm hooked. Unfortunately there is nowhere to buy hatch in western Nebraska, I must head over to the front range of Colorado to get my chilies

OOOOOO That do sound good. I love chili, and the hotter the better. I'll have to try that for sure.;)

Back
Top Bottom