Knife collection pictures

booker

Forum Supporter
Here are 3 of my Switch Blades (Autos) from my knife collection. I will keep adding pics to this. If you have knives feel free to post them here also. Anyone know why Autos illegal in most states?
001-27.jpg

I believe for no other reason than the speed at which the blade can be deployed. The law in Washington is you cannot even have a gravity assised open, a cam assisted open, or a loose blade you can flick open with a snap of the wrist. No butterfly knives, etc. You have to open it with your thumb or use the other hand to open your blade. It's stupid, but what can you do.

I don't care for autos. I play with them in my pocket.
O.K. More knives:
KN5.gif
My Applegate Fairbairn's little brother.
While looking for it, I came across a few others.
KN1.gif
Another Spyderco.
KN4.gif
The Mini AF is #3. For blade designs, I like the top two, except for the serrations. A sharp knife doesn't need them. It doesn't slip off When cutting and can also score cuts. #4 is a cheap Pakistan knife.
The large Case was in real bad shape when I got it. The large blade was broken, so I reground it to the present shape. That thing is sharp!
The last is the only assisted knife that I currently own. I had two but gave the other away. It's another cheap one. Booker, you can have it if you want it and I can remember to bring it the next time we hunt.

I avoid switchblades. I love em', but apparently the feds aren't too keen on em'. I knew a guy years ago got busted selling automatic knives under the table at gun shows. Turned out the charges were roughly equivilant to selling an illegal full auto machinegun. Yuck. I don't want to own an automatic knife if it will give the government a reason to send guys in black suits with guns a reason to bash in my front door with a battering ram. No thanks!

The story I heard years back on why switchblades became illegal is that they were a favorite "terror weapon" of street punks, etc...... like in the 1960's or 1950's...... so the federal government banned them. That's when the criminals turned to dirt cheap, low quality, revolvers. AKA "saturday night specials".

Some improvement, huh?

Anyhow, now I see "spring assisted" knives popping up at walmarts and such, some sort of technicality, I guess.

Nice knives, silversmith! I have an identical applegate fairbairn that a friend found in a parking lot, and gave to me. tabdog had a thread called "tha knife thread" on here somewhere........ I posted several of my knives on that thread........ http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30464&highlight=tha+knife+thread
Some of mine are pictured below. My favorite day to day carry is the Berretta with the skeleton blade, far left top pic.
Favorite overall is the Custom neck knife with damascus blade...... a copy of the one worn by "jack" in the show "deadwood".........

Attachments

• detecting101409.jpg
    detecting101409.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 826
  • coinshooting%20006.jpg
    coinshooting%20006.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 806
  • jacksneckknife%20001.jpg
    jacksneckknife%20001.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 823
You both have some nice knives!
The reason they became illegal is because of the movie The Blackboard Jungle.

The last two I forged, a bowie and a short sword :), I'm still working on a kukri and planning to forge a katar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQiqc5n0Lzs (note: very graphic youtube video similar to coldsteel demo)

Attachments

• IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 731
You both have some nice knives!
The reason they became illegal is because of the movie The Blackboard Jungle.

I read an article a couple of years ago, that a lot of knives from Columbia River were being banned because they were considered Gravity Knives. They found out that some woman do-gooder in the Customs section was unscrewing the tension on them so that they wouldn't pass.
Bigger knives tomorrow.

As promised, here are pictures of a few of my larger knives. I gave Booker my largest that I had used for camping for years. I still have these. (and others)
BK1.gif
One of my later additions.
BK3.gif
A large survival knife.
BK4.gif
Basically the same knife. The top was a detector find by a friend.
The bottom was one I carried in Vietnam. Pitted and handle replaced with parachute cord from the damp weather. I made all of the sheaths in the pictures. All of these knives you can shave with.
BK6.gif
My Applegate Fairbairns. Large and small.

I read an article a couple of years ago, that a lot of knives from Columbia River were being banned because they were considered Gravity Knives. They found out that some woman do-gooder in the Customs section was unscrewing the tension on them so that they wouldn't pass.
Bigger knives tomorrow.

Ahhh I love CRKT :) I have a bunch of their tactical baldes... all folding knives that with an easy flick of the wrist you can snap the blade out. Kershaw makes that Blackout knife and I know Wal*Mart sold them for ohhh around $40 and you barely had to touch the thumb release as it was spring assisted and the blade shot out quick... glad I got a couple when I could :yes:

One more.
MB.gif
The blade is marked U.S. The guard and handle have been replaced. I haven't been able to find a military Bowie that matches. i do not believe that it has been reground.

One of my many pocket knives. This one is an MD find, had the tip of the blade broken off but was reshaped and sharpened. Made by Chicago Cutlery but no idea of how old it is. The boot heel and sole act as a bottle opener too. Closed it's about 3" long or so. Neat little knife, no?

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 726
001-28.jpg

The Bolo at the top is the one Silversmith45 gave me,second one is the dagger I found at a yard sale for a $1,3rd one is made from a railroad spike and last one is horse shoe and I didnt make them

Nice little find! I know the name of those but cant think of it right now:?:

It's called a "ladies leg knife" or "leg knife" from what I've gathered. I did some research on it after I found it and I am remiss in that it was made by Bridge Cutlery and not Chicago Cutlery. As I recall Bridge was bought up by Chicago Cutlery and that's why I dropped that error in my first post: brain fart.

I've seen a couple of them on the web but none identical. Might be pretty rare, huh? Bridge was in operation from the early 1900's to the late 1930's so it's at least 70 years old. It was found in a trash pit where an old farmhouse once stood, in what was left of a small wooden box that also held a couple of marbles. The MD didn't hit on the knife but just on some cans and other iron junk in the pit. I was surprised that it was in such good condition and not rusted all to heck. Some oil, some Flitz and some Scotch-Brite was all it took to clean the sucker up. Putting a new point on it took a bit longer though.

I still haven't found the knife that I have put up somewhere, but I did come across a few others.
KNF1.gif
This is an old knife from my tool chest at work. I always thought it was a Western, but after looking at it, it looks like it says, KNFCLL USA. the last letter might be an I instead of a L.
KNF2.gif
Military Pocket Knife.
KNF3.gif
This is a new Benchmark given to me by a fellow knife collector right before he passed away.
KNF4.gif
These two old Case knives were rusty and pitted when I got them...in really bad shape. They have some of the best steel that I've seen are are sharp!
KNF6.gif
This is a Columbia River Roll-lock.
KNF5.gif
The blade slides out and locks. I believe Gerber used to make knives on the same design that were real expensive. I had three in my collection that was stolen several years ago.
KNF7.gif
This is a hand forged patch knife/flint striker made by a blacksmith.

Back
Top Bottom