Another One Off The Bucket List For The Year

beephead

Elite Member
I finally got my search coil over my first Seated Dime for the year. It's thin and worn out. They don't pop their heads up very often around here, so I'll take it. It was only about inch or so deep under a huge oak tree about 40 yards from the fairway at Overton Park. It gave an ID like a copper penny. I also found a coin spill of a 1928 and 2 1929 wheat pennies.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 396
Wow! Congrats on the holes Seated. That one circulated a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Congrats on the holes Seated. That one circulated a while.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! It's really worn thin. I was wondering why the hole and why the hole was square and not round? I did some searching on the net and found this:

"The 20th Century trappers/fisherman and outdoorsman were known to carry their money (coins) on strings as a result of a lack of pockets in their outer clothing.
Therefore by making holes in the soft silver metal of the 20th Century coinage they would be able to tie a string around their waist that would allow the coins to slide into the string and be carried this way.
This is why the vast majority of the coins you see on E-bay with hole punches are between the years 1858-1910.
If only those coins could speak!"

I also read that the holes were made with nails. Back then nails were square.

beephead

Wow that things slick!! Congrats....still waiting on my first Seated......awesome job Beephead!

Might be worn but it's still a cool find. Thx for sharing the results of your research, very interesting.

very cool find! i think the ones with the holes that were carried by outdoorsman should be worth more than plain ones!!!

Thanks Everyone! I'm rained in for awhile. We have been getting a lot of rain here lately. It's a sloppy mess out there!

beephead

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom