Second Thoughts about what to buy

steve-in-atco

I have a Garrett Apex ordered, been looking and the Garrett At series seems a little better(I think). My question is for a 1st detector what would you recommend? This is my 1st detector and I think I'll enjoy this hobby. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Steve-in-Atco

Are you committed to Garrett? I don't think either of those will be a best choice for you. For a lot less money, you could buy Simplex+, which is a fully submersible detector, and very deep seeking machine, and had 5 pre-confiured modes, as well as is user-customizable. Has iron audio (with separate volume adjustment for iron, as well as the ability to turn iron audio off, and has notch over the full range. Wireless headphones and built in wireless transmitter, pin-point function, and a lot more. Check it out. It's a ruggedly built machine with a 2 year P&L warranty. Around $255 w/o headphones, and I think about $339 or so, with.

That depends on where you live. If you live within a 100 miles of me, then get any one of those that you mentioned should be fine. But if you live greater than a 100 miles radius from me, for a few dollars more I get an Equinox.

Last edited:
Not trying to get in the middle of you and a dealer, but if I were in your shoes I'd cancel the order,put return to sender on the box and don't even open it..I'm sure the Apex will do the job but at that price I think you can do better. Just my opinion

My advice would be to take the Apex you ordered, go out and find things with it and enjoy the hobby. Take time to learn as much as you can and hunt as often as possible. Experience will allow you to make the best of the hobby. Everyone has opinions about various brands of detectors. Best bet is to find out for yourself. I don't think you'll go wrong with the Garrett brand.

Are you committed to Garrett? I don't think either of those will be a best choice for you. For a lot less money, you could buy Simplex+, which is a fully submersible detector, and very deep seeking machine, and had 5 pre-confiured modes, as well as is user-customizable. Has iron audio (with separate volume adjustment for iron, as well as the ability to turn iron audio off, and has notch over the full range. Wireless headphones and built in wireless transmitter, pin-point function, and a lot more. Check it out. It's a ruggedly built machine with a 2 year P&L warranty. Around $255 w/o headphones, and I think about $339 or so, with.

X2

Although I'm not a garrett fan I have a buddy that was very happy with the apex. Found deep targets. Also found beach mode was faster but not nearly as deep, probably good in trashy areas. Let us know how you do with it. Good luck and enjoy.

But if you live greater than a 100 miles radius from me, for a few dollars more I get an Equinox.

Not a few dollars more. The Apex is $425 on eBay, while the Nox 600 is $600 and up.

I too would cancel and go with a simplex. Less money than an at pro, with more features and equal performance.

Welcome to the forum Steve. Best of luck out there!
I prefer the Minelab Equinox 600. I believe one can get it for less through one of our sponsors. I know I did.
You can grow into the Equinox with it having more features than the Simplex.
Good luck on what you decide!

Still having 2nd thoughts

I went to a dealer yesterday and compared the APEX with a Minelab 600. Like the 600 because it is water proof not water resistant like the APEX I'll be using this next to salt water and think water proof is really important. Liked Minelabs 3 year guarantee vice Garrett's 2 year. More reviews on 600 vice APEX. Liked the wireless head phones. Any other thoughts for 600 users.

Thanks
Steve-in-Atco

I went to a dealer yesterday and compared the APEX with a Minelab 600. Like the 600 because it is water proof not water resistant like the APEX I'll be using this next to salt water and think water proof is really important. Liked Minelabs 3 year guarantee vice Garrett's 2 year. More reviews on 600 vice APEX. Liked the wireless head phones. Any other thoughts for 600 users.

Thanks
Steve-in-Atco

The 600 doesn't come with wireless headphones. You will have to buy them separately. Talk to David at River Team Six metal detectors. He is a sponsor and will give you a good deal.

Thanks
Steve-in-Atco

I just bought the 800. I have only used it 3 times but so far I like it a lot. And that is coming from someone who hasn't touched a detector in roughly ten years. Those were white's machines. Couldn't be happier so far. I think the Nox 600 would be a good one. I think the beauty of the Nox is you can use it out of the box and it has plenty to tinker with when the time comes. The 800 has more bells and whistles but it sounds like the 600 is very comparable. I think you can get more miles for the money with one. From all the people I have talked to and listened to about it. As far as the others I couldn't say

I just bought the 800. I have only used it 3 times but so far I like it a lot. And that is coming from someone who hasn't touched a detector in roughly ten years. Those were white's machines. Couldn't be happier so far. I think the Nox 600 would be a good one. I think the beauty of the Nox is you can use it out of the box and it has plenty to tinker with when the time comes. The 800 has more bells and whistles but it sounds like the 600 is very comparable. I think you can get more miles for the money with one. From all the people I have talked to and listened to about it. As far as the others I couldn't say

Thanks Coin Saver

Steve-in-Atco

In case you haven't seen them yet here are some short but very helpful tutorials on the Equinox series I found online:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpymZHu8sv5nwrk34ID53OxszE8fjuDFC

(they cover both the 600 and 800)

Edit to add:

PM the forum sponsors to see what deals they might have right now:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/forum_sponsors.php

......doesn't hurt to ask, they just might have a better deal then you might get elsewhere.

Last edited:
I almost bought the Minelab 600 but decided on going all out with no regrets since I had a nice sized tax return and got the 800! I made a great decision😀👍.
Whatever you buy have fun you will find goodies.

Go with the Vanquish 540!!! Excellent budget detector with performance almost as good as the equinox !

I used a Garrett AT max for a few years and loved it. Then I bought an equinox 800 and I hate to say it but the Garrett doesn’t get much action anymore. I’m not sure how the apex is around saltwater but the AT series was not good at all around the salt. The minelab however has been nothing but impressive on the beach. No matter which you decide on get out there and enjoy it.

Go with the Vanquish 540!!! Excellent budget detector with performance almost as good as the equinox !

some swear it's a ''dead nuts" match in "mild" soil!. was a ''sleeper" upon introduction! "pro-pack" gives ya 2 coils plus wireless.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I was looking at reviews and videos regarding the Simplex+.
Lo and behold, all kinds of ads started popping up on my tablet.

Well just like in the movie the Godfather i got an offer i could not refuse.

The advertised packages are pretty standard. $254 without wireless headphones, $339 with the wireless headphones.

But one ad offered the $339 package along with a free
Nokta pulse dive pinpointer, free shipping and no sales tax.

So i ordered one, told i got the last one with the free pointer.

Love my Godfather.......
The machine is waterproof in case i end up "sleeping with the fishes"!

Back
Top Bottom