Garrett AT MAX Makes A Great Fresh Water Detector

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Spent the day in the water, as it was HOT! Took along the floating sifter and scooped up all the beer cans, a truck mud flap, a steel pointed rod and other pieces of junk. I had a lot of people thank me for removing all that garbage. Good PR too!

I used the largest coil for the MAX....9" x 12" which gives me decent depth, and very good depth when hunting in true all metal mode. Setting the iron audio to about 35, and hunting with it turned off, clearly identifies a ferrous target larger then bobby pins, and with Canadian Coins squawk both in iron audio grunt and a high pitch, makes it fairly easy to ID them. Hitting a silver ring, gold ring or copper, gives a nice clear signal with no iron audio. Pull tabs tend to give a very loud hit, often times a double bleep, with a VDI of about 53. All the AT Series allow the user to easily ID pulltabs.

Here are the best of today's hunt. That is ring #8 so far this year.

Nice finds!! Its terrible how much trash is just discarded by people without a care in the world

Are you a dealer for Garrett? You seem to push them as if you have a stake in sales :D

Nice finds!! Its terrible how much trash is just discarded by people without a care in the world

Are you a dealer for Garrett? You seem to push them as if you have a stake in sales :D

The word used mostly is "shill activity" shown here and on other forums.

The word used mostly is "shill activity" shown here and on other forums.

Please explain? You are still trolling my posts....What is your problem anyways? Most people contribute to various forums,in one way or another. Unlike your criticisms, constant trolling, put-downs, negative bias and creating to discontent on this forum and many others. If you don't like my posts, or any Garrett posts, then don't look at them. Very simple!

Your comments say more about yourself then they do about other peoples posts.

When someone has thousands of hours experience on a particular brand, offers countless hours of help, posts and opinions, volunteers hundreds of thankless hours moderating a forum for free, you call them a shill? I don't work for Garrett, however, consider many of their employees friends. If their equipment isn't a match for you, then don't buy it! I really couldn't care less. Just go out and enjoy the hobby, like 99% of everyone else.

The Friendly Metal Detecting Forum is one of the best forums out there! Quit trying to change it into a cesspool.

Ever consider a new hobby?......perhaps one where you don't have to froth your negative comments? Do you even go out metal detecting? Do you even own one? Have you ever found anything? Do you ever say anything positive?

Last edited:

Yes, there sure is a lot of trash out there. Am I a dealer? No, however I do moderate a Garrett forum elsewhere.....I have been an avid Garrett user for over 20 years. They seem to be one of the best detectors to bang on our Canadian clad, which, depending on what year, is made out of silver, nickel, nickel plate on steel. Plus, the effects of oxidation, especially when the nickel plate begins to wear off.

I believe Mr. landuse asked a question and your response should very much provide answers. Please give him your answer. Shill is a 5 letter word, not a 4 letter word.

The AT Pro is a great detector. It's not perfect but it doesn't have to be. I have been using one in Japan for about 2/12 years and found hundreds of old coins (including a gold one), about 30 pieces of gold and platinum jewelry, at least a 100 pieces of silver jewelry and almost $3000 (converted from yen) in clad as well as a lot of relics. I only paid $600 for it so it has paid for it self at least 10 times over already.

I still might get an Equinox 800 when they become more readily available and the bugs are worked out because I know it would work better in salt water and I would like to try something different for the high iron sites I hunt, but for now I still find good stuff on almost every hunt and am not too worried that I am missing a lot of stuff because there is still so much left to find here. Also Garrett has helped me a lot for free even when the problem wasn't their fault.

I just remembered that this thread is about the AT Max. I haven't used one but if it is similar to the AT Pro I'm sure it's probably a good detector too.

I gotta ask about your sifter, i tried that handle trick too but failed badly. Hard packed river sand/silt just to tough for it. also where do i get a pan like that, just the pan. thanks

Attachments

• classifier.jpg
    classifier.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 235
I just remembered that this thread is about the AT Max. I haven't used one but if it is similar to the AT Pro I'm sure it's probably a good detector too.

The AT Pro has a lot of similarities as the AT MAX. Did you know Ian from Japan, who used to post on a Garrett Forum some years back?He used the ACE 250 on the beach and did exceptionally well!

The AT Pro has a lot of similarities as the AT MAX. Did you know Ian from Japan, who used to post on a Garrett Forum some years back?He used the ACE 250 on the beach and did exceptionally well!

I don't know anyone in Japan that metal detects. I know there are a few people on this forum in Japan but I don't know anyone personally. It is almost unknown of here.

I don't know anyone in Japan that metal detects. I know there are a few people on this forum in Japan but I don't know anyone personally. It is almost unknown of here.

I haven't seen 18kronin post anything from JAPAN in a long time and he finds amazing jewelry!

I haven't seen 18kronin post anything from JAPAN in a long time and he finds amazing jewelry!

There were a couple of beach hunters in Japan that were posting a few months back but I haven't been seeing them post recently.

I post finds occasionally but not too often now because a lot of it was kind of repetive with the same types of finds over and over.

Back
Top Bottom