Coin or button or ??

kudzu

Hunting an 1800's house site and having good luck since it not contaminated with modern trash. Found what I thought was another flat button but cleaning did not go as expected. I can't find any stem spot; it is thicker and heavier than I thought; the "front" has some markings on it. Mainly an inside ring and some letters. I can make out a T and a Y or X. Can't get to show up in the pics very well. The "back" is still very crusted and pretty much toasted. I know nothing about early colonial coins. The site has given up an 1864 half penny from England as well as the typical mid 1800's US coins.

Those that know early coins any thoughts?

Attachments

• Coin 2.jpg
    Coin 2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 459
  • FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 427
I am leaning toward button or token, the rim looks too heavy for a coin. Better, closer pics may help.

I agree with Remmy.
Looks like a button to me.
Try side lighting to bring out more detail in your pictures.
Sounds like a great place to hunt.
Congrats on your great finds

:imo:doing a quick search, I have found that the George I farthings resemble the "coin" the most. They have a wide rim, but there is not enough clarity in the pics to be sure of anything. Farthings of this type are 22.4 mm in diameter and compared with the Indian cent pictured with a diameter of 19.05 mm. the size looks close. That is my best guess with the info provided

What is the wood item they are sitting on? I can't stop trying to figure it out!

Thanks for the replies. I will try to get some better pictures and do some side lighting so the letters will show up.

Rustyk1: Thanks I will look up that coin and see if any of the letters match. I am scared to clean it much more until I know what it is.

Franz: The wood is a piece of maple- a cross cut disk. I also do fractal burning so have decorated it with that process. I drilled holes in it to hold toothpicks and other picks I use for cleaning.

Ok tried to get some better pics with some side lighting. It looks like it is right at 20mm so is actually nickel size. I have made out letters "AT" that could be in the word STATES. I just have not seen a nickel rimmed like that nor with what appears to be an inner ring. I also took a photo of the toasted back in case any of you can see something I don't see. I wanted it to be a farthing but seems a bit small and I can't make the letters match unless it is on the back without the ring. Still seems really thick to be a button and not like any of the 20+ buttons that this site has given up so far. Thanks for looking and hh.

Attachments

• Corb1.jpg
    Corb1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 316
  • corb2.jpg
    corb2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 332
  • Corb3.jpg
    Corb3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 318
  • cor4.jpg
    cor4.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 319
this is going to be difficult. The inner ring does not match with a farthing, but I know i have seen a wide rim on a coin before, it's just with so many defunct coin varieties, we might never really know.

Its an 1800-1815 English button, if you look closely on one of the pictures you can see part of a wreath of wheat or laurel like the early flat buttons have. Also the profile , as Warren tice calls it of "an inverted doughboy helmet" on the early one piece English buttons, stamped by a single large die. If you look closely in the center you should see remnants of what will look like snakebites where the "A" shank of two wires with no feet were attached. I also see part of a maker's mark or quality mark on one side, but it is too toasted to glean the information. You are on an early site to find that button.

Back
Top Bottom