So confusing

JoeL

Hi, I am a new member here, Thank goodness I found this site, fantastic, and I am getting ready to upgrade from a Ace250. I read reviews on the models I'm interested in but, while rated well, theres always some bad mixed in. Not looking for specific detector suggestions, only how you all decided on your detector purchases. After finding a model or 2, are reviews the way to go? Thanks and this is a great website, Joe

Joe - Reviews AND the type of hunting that you will be doing AND the ground type are factors you should consider AND support from the seller. There, I believe I just confused you more! :roll:

This is a tough question. Reviews are not always the most reliable source of info, some are on the manufacturers websites and may not be the most objective. Treasure magazines don't want to anger advertisers with a bad review. No detector is perfect, decide which features are best for you, everyone has different likes and dislikes. My dealer will let me try out machines in his test area, hands on is hard to beat.

Thanks, I was wondering about field tests in Mags. I kinda figured the Mag. folks would not want to anger the manufactures so they,,,,,, kinda put forth a favortable review. It is tough to decide to INVEST and hope you are investing in the right detector. Joe

Hi Joe. Maybe I can help you here.
I agree with the others about reviews.
As far as what to look for , first decide about what you want to spend for one. Do you want to have a target ID meter or tone ID. What type of hunting you want to do most of ; land or beach and what do you want to mostly look for ; coins , jewlery , relics, gold nuggets etc. Buy from someone that has a good working knowledge of detectors and actually detects with one. Many dealers only sell them and never use them.
As far as value goes ; name brand detectors have the greatest value right off the bat. The ones from China have very little value because they don't perform well and are not made well.This is also true for many chain store detectors that are mass marketed.
Lets say you buy an Ace250.The retail is 249.95 and the dealer throws in another 15 to 20.00 in accessories. Now it's "value" is up to 269.95.They sell for 212.45 discounted. If you use it for 6 months and decide to stop the hobby for whatever reason , you can sell the detector for around 150 to 175.00. In the 6 months lets say you find around 20.00 in coins which I feel is very reasonable. All in all the detector cost you from 42.45 to 17.45 to "rent" it for 6 months. I rent them for 40.00 a day. :grin:
The same would hold true for any other name brand detector at any price just that you would get more accessories for free maybe and you would probably find more coins and even maybe some nice gold jewelry.To me the investment is a no brainer. Just the fun you'll have is worth the cost :yes:
If there is anything I can do for you please let me know.

Joe, you never mentioned which ones you are interested it. Let us know. If my detector is one of them I will tell you it's good and bad points. Most guys will do the same. Rob

looking at the White's DFX or XLT. I want t take the plunge on a good work horse detector. My detecting is happening more and more.

Hiya Joel, and welcome. I have the DFX, and why I chose it over other brands is I really liked the feel for one thing. I like a display for some of the hunting I do, and the versatility of the machine is super. I have owned several different types, brands, and styles of machines, and this one stood out among the rest. Now, as far as the bad part of this machine, the learning curve takes you a while to master. It has some weight to it compared to to your 250. A factor in the weight issue is because the machine is made so well. It doesn't feel loose, or rattle when you are making a sweep with the coil like some I have tried and used. Buy the very best that you can afford and you won't be disappointed later down the road. I learned that lesson long ago. Hope this helped you out a bit. If you have any more questions just ask away.

thanks hoser and all, my decision has been made... Joe

Back
Top Bottom