On Pace for a Record Egg Year

Lee1968

Elite Member
My wife sold 5 more dozen eggs today to put us at $255 for the year. If the second half is the same, we will cross $500 for the first time. Considering we sell them for $2 a dozen, the hens have done good :D. I am not counting one lady that trades us some jams and preserves from time to time. Nothing to do with detecting, but we sometimes talk about hobbies, and I wanted to share. $500 is the money we need to break even - if you don't count labor - plus we eat all the eggs we want. :laughing:

My wife sold 5 more dozen eggs today to put us at $255 for the year. If the second half is the same, we will cross $500 for the first time. Considering we sell them for $2 a dozen, the hens have done good :D. I am not counting one lady that trades us some jams and preserves from time to time. Nothing to do with detecting, but we sometimes talk about hobbies, and I wanted to share. $500 is the money we need to break even - if you don't count labor - plus we eat all the eggs we want. :laughing:

Congrats !!!! :thumbsup:

Hey, the hens might ask for a raise :laughing: (just yolking, I mean joking :lol:)

Maybe have a big yard sign saying "FRESH Eggs" and below it a list of recipes that use eggs followed by "What recipe do you need FRESH eggs for today ?

Advertising is an EGG-cellent idea ! :laughing:

Congrats !!!! :thumbsup:

Hey, the hens might ask for a raise :laughing: (just yolking, I mean joking :lol:)

Maybe have a big yard sign saying "FRESH Eggs" and below it a list of recipes that use eggs followed by "What recipe do you need FRESH eggs for today ?

Advertising is an EGG-cellent idea ! :laughing:

Those are some good ideas - and the puns are funny too! Before we started selling them, we looked into donating our extras to a food pantry. But in Illinois, we had to have them candled and graded, and sign a "responsibility" form. Basically saying if you get the eggs from a shelter, you are more than welcome to sue us if you get sick. I understand in a way, but it kind of makes you not want to go down that path.

Many folks only want the store bought bleached white eggs that arrive to the store a month after they’re laid. I’ve raised hens for 20 years now, nothing better than farm fresh!

Did you know fresh eggs don’t have to be refrigerated? They can sit out for weeks.

Many folks only want the store bought bleached white eggs that arrive to the store a month after they’re laid. I’ve raised hens for 20 years now, nothing better than farm fresh!

Did you know fresh eggs don’t have to be refrigerated? They can sit out for weeks.

Yep. Used to be an "egg bowl" on the counter. Just wiped off a little. If we found one out of the laying boxes and wasn't sure how old it was, it would go in the trough. If it sank, it went in the house, and if it kind of floated, it went to the pigs.

Are you selling at a farmers market? Nothing like some REAL eggs...

No farmer's market. The laws in Illinois are kind of weird. You have to sell them where the flock is - so from our home. Don't know why. We have a standing deal with a local baker, when we accumulate 10 dozen, she buys them all. She says they are the best eggs for baking. We sell them to her for $20 for 10 dozen. She sometimes brings us a couple of things in trade as well, and sometimes we slip her a few extra dozen. It works out well. We also sell to others, but the baker gets most of the eggs we have.

So, how many hens in your flock? What breed? I grew up in the 50’s and we had about fifty chickens. My brother still has a scar close to his eye where a rooster attacked and pecked him. He was about three or four then but is now retired.

If you enjoy it, then you can't beat a hobby that pays for itself and makes other people happy too.

No need for roosters. They are a PITA.

Yep. No roosters. Have had a few over the years, but it takes them only a short time to figure out they can rough up my wife. I could go in the pen and sit on a log, and they wouldn't look at me twice. My wife walks in, and they start challenging her. They would always win, so they had to go.

So, how many hens in your flock? What breed? I grew up in the 50’s and we had about fifty chickens. My brother still has a scar close to his eye where a rooster attacked and pecked him. He was about three or four then but is now retired.

We have about 35 hens. We have a lot of orpingtons, rhode island reds, and barred rocks. There are a few different breeds we have had given to us, including some araucanas. I didn't really want any exotic chickens, just layers.

Back
Top Bottom