Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-03-2018, 09:01 AM
pryan67's Avatar
pryan67 pryan67 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 888
Default AT Pro coils....5X8, stock, or Nel?

I've been using my 5X8 exclusively....but am thinking of getting another coil.


I have the stock coil which I might put on today to hunt a park to try to get a little more depth (although the 5X8 consistently can get 8 inches). Are the NEL coils THAT much better, and if so, how are they better? I was thinking either the Snake or one of the BIG coils.

I like the coverage of the big coils, makes hunting faster, but that would also impact target separation at trashy parks, which is where I tend to hunt.


Thoughts?

__________________
Fisher F2, ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Gator digger., PP-AT, and an AT-Pro

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 06-03-2018, 10:41 AM
RockCore's Avatar
RockCore RockCore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: WV
Posts: 454
Default

I borrowed my buddy's NEL storm coil once for my ATP. Definitely a little deeper than the stock coil. Pulled an 8"+ merc I'd missed multiple times. But in trashy areas it will drive you crazy as it will hit all the shallow trash due to its size. It does pinpoint fairly well. It's like all coils as it has it's place. Trashy parks would probably not be one of them IMHO. And it's pretty heavy. I'm considering a Thunder coil as it's a bit narrower than the storm and a little lighter. Definitely nice to have a big coil in the arsenal just use it in the right situation.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 06-03-2018, 10:45 AM
RockCore's Avatar
RockCore RockCore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: WV
Posts: 454
Default

BTW, my buddy has the snake coil also. Very nice for tight areas and well made but IMO not worth buying if you already have the 5x8. I run my 5x8 90% of the time.
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 06-03-2018, 10:52 AM
pryan67's Avatar
pryan67 pryan67 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 888
Default

thanks for the info....That's what I was thinking about the snake as well...I have the 5X8, and I don't think that it would be worth the cost to get the snake.

Since I don't detect fields often...maybe I'll just stick with what I have until I "need" the depth of the bigger coils.

__________________
Fisher F2, ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Gator digger., PP-AT, and an AT-Pro

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 06-03-2018, 11:48 AM
Bill_Ace_350's Avatar
Bill_Ace_350 Bill_Ace_350 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 828
Default

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
I've been using my 5X8 exclusively....but am thinking of getting another coil.


I have the stock coil which I might put on today to hunt a park to try to get a little more depth (although the 5X8 consistently can get 8 inches). Are the NEL coils THAT much better, and if so, how are they better? I was thinking either the Snake or one of the BIG coils.

I like the coverage of the big coils, makes hunting faster, but that would also impact target separation at trashy parks, which is where I tend to hunt.


Thoughts?
I had the stock coil for 2 years, and got the 5 x 8 this spring.

the 5x8 works great, and I will keep it on until my hay field is mowed and I'll put the 8.5 x 11 back on.

I definitely like the 5 x8 in the trash.

__________________
AT Pro/ACE 350/BH Lonestar/1864 Nova Scotia One Cent Piece/1864 Indian Head, 1906 Indian Head/8 Wheat/Silver Coins: 1/Silver or Gold Jewelry: 2

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 06-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Ice Scratcher's Avatar
Ice Scratcher Ice Scratcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 17,340
Default

Just remember, if you want to get the most depth out of any coil, the coverage is the same, more or less.. In other words, all coils cover a very small area at the deepest portion of their field. That's why overlapping your swings is really important...

If you want to cover an area and get the most depth, it should take the same amount of swings regardless of coil size...

<)))>{
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 AM
pick pick is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
Just remember, if you want to get the most depth out of any coil, the coverage is the same, more or less.. In other words, all coils cover a very small area at the deepest portion of their field. That's why overlapping your swings is really important...

If you want to cover an area and get the most depth, it should take the same amount of swings regardless of coil size...

<)))>{
With the DD coil the field is as long as the coil so you would not have to overlap much of the coil size if I understand it correctly. Concentric Coil would be the same size at the end but even then you would get better depth with a larger coil and would still have less overlap. I'm no expert and could be wrong but this is what I have understood about it.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 07-04-2018, 03:47 PM
Digger-Dave's Avatar
Digger-Dave Digger-Dave is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fitchburg, MA
Posts: 3,949
Default

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
I had the stock coil for 2 years, and got the 5 x 8 this spring.

the 5x8 works great, and I will keep it on until my hay field is mowed and I'll put the 8.5 x 11 back on.

I definitely like the 5x8 in the trash.
The 5x8 is great in trashy areas. It separates well and is easy to swing. The stock coil goes on for the large open areas like hunting fields. Just got an NEL Sharpshooter. Looking to see how well it does.

__________________
Garrett AT Pro - 1891 Seated Dime, 2 Fatty Indians, 1858 Flying eagle and an 1898 Barber Quarter. First crotal bell!! One silver ring.

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 07-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Stiffwrists Stiffwrists is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 955
Default

I own a 5x8, NEL Thunder, and the stock coil for the AT Max. You can bet that I will be up early, with the big Thunder coil, sweeping fast, covering large areas,with the sensitivity low, picking all the surface finds from the firework gawkers in the park!

__________________
AT MAX, ACE 350, Garrett Carrot, Lesche
2018 Totals: Clad $315.30
Wheats: 163, Silver: 36, Silver Rings: 14
IH: 3, Buffalo/V: 3, Gold: 1

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 PM
bubbaron bubbaron is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lower Schuylkill Co. PA
Posts: 702
Smile

I have the 5" x 8" coil on my AT Pro and love it for easy swinging. I would not buy any other coils myself. Found lots of stuff with it.
Bubbaron
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 07-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Ice Scratcher's Avatar
Ice Scratcher Ice Scratcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 17,340
Default

Originally Posted by pick View post
With the DD coil the field is as long as the coil so you would not have to overlap much of the coil size if I understand it correctly. Concentric Coil would be the same size at the end but even then you would get better depth with a larger coil and would still have less overlap. I'm no expert and could be wrong but this is what I have understood about it.
Sort of, but, I have seen plenty of times where the target is so deep, if you take the coil two inches forward or back, no response. I don't even need to pinpoint on those deepest targets because it's always centered...

<)))>{
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 07-04-2018, 06:56 PM
pryan67's Avatar
pryan67 pryan67 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 888
Default

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
I own a 5x8, NEL Thunder, and the stock coil for the AT Max. You can bet that I will be up early, with the big Thunder coil, sweeping fast, covering large areas,with the sensitivity low, picking all the surface finds from the firework gawkers in the park!
I plan on using the stock coil tomorrow morning at our park. Much larger coverage

__________________
Fisher F2, ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Gator digger., PP-AT, and an AT-Pro

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 07-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Stiffwrists Stiffwrists is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 955
Default

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
Sort of, but, I have seen plenty of times where the target is so deep, if you take the coil two inches forward or back, no response. I don't even need to pinpoint on those deepest targets because it's always centered...

<)))>{
I agree with this. Those sweet, deep, hightones that only register in the center of the coil are the deepest, and most exciting. You still need to overlap, if you want to effectively search deep in an area, even with a large coil.

__________________
AT MAX, ACE 350, Garrett Carrot, Lesche
2018 Totals: Clad $315.30
Wheats: 163, Silver: 36, Silver Rings: 14
IH: 3, Buffalo/V: 3, Gold: 1

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.