Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 06-26-2018, 11:25 AM
Elite Member

You can buy an original Hori-Hori for about ten dollars less on Amazon.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:44 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
You can buy an original Hori-Hori for about ten dollars less on Amazon.

Any particular one you'd suggest?

Currently I have a kellyco "clone" of the lesche....I don't like how I can't scoop out dirt with it readily...I'd like to have something I can really dig with

Old 06-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Elite Member

I also have a gator by kellyco. I have never used it. It is the dullest digger that I have ever had. A Hori-Hori has a slight concave to it so you can dig with it through almost any ground. I have never cared for the stepped design of the lesche.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:21 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
I also have a gator by kellyco. I have never used it. It is the dullest digger that I have ever had. A Hori-Hori has a slight concave to it so you can dig with it through almost any ground. I have never cared for the stepped design of the lesche.

I don't like the offset designs either.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
I bought one from watching him use it in his videos. You have to have the right dirt for it, pretty much soft aerated loose type dirt. Otherwise the sharp end is so wide that you can't get any penetration. I also nicknamed it the knuckle buster, because the handle is really thin and the rubber slippery, so trying to get penetration I slipped off the handle and thrashed my knuckles more than once. I ended up selling or trading it here, it just didn't work for me around Maryland.

For some reason I bought the Little Mac, which is a T handle version of the same head design, and that didn't work out great either. My White's Digmaster is still king over anything I tried for hand diggers, including the Lesche. https://www.predatortools.com/products/model-little-mac

For an inexpensive digger, Fiskars just started making a full tang Hori Hori. Home Depot seems to exclusively carry them locally, haven't seen them elsewhere. I've been putting one through it's paces and I'm impressed, it cuts through the soil easier than others and I haven't bent it yet, and I'm pretty hard on diggers. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-...1001/300374030
Picked up that Fiskars. Nice tool. Sharp and strong!
Thanks for the post.