Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 07-11-2018, 08:08 PM

Default Not sure what one to buy.

I'm looking at an Equinox 600 ($490, new in box) or a Whites MX-5 for ($310, used in perfect condition).
Not sure which one to buy?
What would you do?

Last edited by mdmike01; 07-11-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Elite Member

Only the NOX is multifrequency. Also it can switch between single and MF so it's a no brainer. Both are waterproof. Nox also has a faster processor too. Eh do what you'd like....but keep in mind I'd tell my local competition to buy the MX and family to buy the NOX.

-guy who had 'em both

PS. In Colorado, your in gold country. Buy the machine with better sensitivity to finding that stuff too. Only one is worthy of that.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Elite Member

Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Elite Member

At $490 itís a no brainer,,get the nox.If you donít like it you could definitely trade or sell it fast.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:13 AM
Supporter

Iíd buy any Nox 600 at that price point... but would like a 800 myself for the higher gold kHz...

2 Compadres : 2018 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $163.22 ($804.72), Silver coins: 1 (6), Wheats: 17 (45), Gold: 6 (24), .925 8 (57), Rings: 41 (181), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 07-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

Equinox 600 absolutely,not only does it recover fast it also works at the ocean and lakes,rivers.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Elite Member

At 490 is there only one (i.e. buying from a private person), or is there a link you could share?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Nox...definitely.

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Elite Member

I have the MX5 and love it. So I had to do some investigating and I would definitely get the Equinox. While the new technology is only about better signal resolution and ID, it's still a step ahead. Some day we will have more than just improvement on present technology.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Supporter

If you can afford it the Not is a no brainer given the other option in this case.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by DaviDs View post
Both are waterproof.
MX-5 is not waterproof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

discount code A1466 |
|
|

Old 07-12-2018, 05:08 PM

I have the MX5 and like it but I would buy the 600.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
At 490 is there only one (i.e. buying from a private person), or is there a link you could share?
No link for it, sorry. It's a damaged box item. It's perfectly fine, just the package/box is jacked. My Brother found it in Maryland.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:08 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by mdmike01 View post
No link for it, sorry. It's a damaged box item. It's perfectly fine, just the package/box is jacked. My Brother found it in Maryland.
I'd jump on it personally...

Old 07-15-2018, 08:29 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
At $490 itís a no brainer,,get the nox.If you donít like it you could definitely trade or sell it fast.
Thats the thing here..You aint out a $490 SPEND for the NOX...easy and fast resale even a year from now for nearly what you paid for it or a little under...by that time, you should be able to find enough clad to make it a net positive...

Detectors cannot be thought about as a normal 'loss spend' like a carton of paper towels or golf clubs or fishing gear or a new car or something similar..Its a common mistake but false thinking when it comes to detectors...

Detectors are money making tools...you use it and make money, then, after even a while, they have a market value you can cash in on if you decide to sell it... ...

Gotta be careful though and stay with the times here..the Whites will also find you money plenty, but just try to sell the dmaned thing for what you got into it....not today, not tomorrow..never gonna happen....go with the NOX.....

Or, I do happen to have a very cherry slightly used in perfect factory re-condition Cobra Beach Magnet I am willing to part with!...$250! I'll even throw in a 4 pack of Nine Volts for it and a finds pouch!! (JK...I'm trying to make a point here)

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Thats the thing here..You aint out a $490 SPEND for the NOX...easy and fast resale even a year from now for nearly what you paid for it or a little under...by that time, you should be able to find enough clad to make it a net positive...

Detectors cannot be thought about as a normal 'loss spend' like a carton of paper towels or golf clubs or fishing gear or a new car or something similar..Its a common mistake but false thinking when it comes to detectors...

Detectors are money making tools...you use it and make money, then, after even a while, they have a market value you can cash in on if you decide to sell it... ...

Gotta be careful though and stay with the times here..the Whites will also find you money plenty, but just try to sell the dmaned thing for what you got into it....not today, not tomorrow..never gonna happen....go with the NOX.....

Or, I do happen to have a very cherry slightly used in perfect factory re-condition Cobra Beach Magnet I am willing to part with!...$250! I'll even throw in a 4 pack of Nine Volts for it and a finds pouch!! (JK...I'm trying to make a point here)
Lol, Thanks!