Ok... My First Detector...Help

collegefbfan

I am not going to spend crazy amounts of money on a detector. This is something I want to enjoy and don't want to feel tied down to a machine more than my car payment. I was thinking of the Garrett Ace 250. Is it still being made or was it replaced by the Ace 300? Is the 250 still a good one or should I spend the extra 30-40 bucks for the 300?
Many thanks.

I own a 250 and its good but out of production. The 300 should be fine. Be aware if you bump the coil on something it will beep.

Thanks for the quick reply. Just curious though. If I can find a 250, concerning price and ease of use, should I go ahead and get it? Or just spring for the 300?

Thanks for the quick reply. Just curious though. If I can find a 250, concerning price and ease of use, should I go ahead and get it? Or just spring for the 300?

Hit the 300 not the 250, the 300 actually has VDI #'s versus just groups or segments of ID. In theory this should lead to helping you make a better decision on weather to dig or not.

Get a Tesoro Mojave, it's in production, very light weight, lifetime warranty, It'll hunt with the big dogs, cheap initial price, you'll learn how important audio can be, you won't have to stop to figure out what a screen is saying, you'll find out if metal detecting is really for you AND.....you can make that next car payment.:D

I've had my 250 for nearly 10 years. I'd get the 300- nothing wrong with an Ace. Just don't overdo the sensitivity and you will enjoy. I kept mine longer than I thought since I got the sniper coil-turns it into a killer machine. I like the fact I can go from my favorite relics mode to another mode with just a push of a button. There are other good machines- but many feel the Ace started the industry price reduction on quality beginner models.:cool:

I have done some reading about sensitivity and keep in mind I have never touched a detector before. I know sensitivity is based on location. Where would be a good sensitivity level to start at?

Get a Tesoro Mojave, it's in production, very light weight, lifetime warranty, It'll hunt with the big dogs, cheap initial price, you'll learn how important audio can be, you won't have to stop to figure out what a screen is saying, you'll find out if metal detecting is really for you AND.....you can make that next car payment.:D

iu

Anyone thinking about giving detecting a try would do well to take a good look at the Teknetics Minuteman - a rebranded Eurotek Pro available for just $149 shipped from the Teknetics direct website.

Check some reviews for the ETP and you'll see it's got a good reputation as a beginner's detector that you won't outgrow quickly. Better than the 300? I can't say. But I can guarantee that the Minuteman plus a $100 pinpointer will bring you much more enjoyment much, much faster than a pricier detector on its own.

Anyone thinking about giving detecting a try would do well to take a good look at the Teknetics Minuteman - a rebranded Eurotek Pro available for just $149 shipped from the Teknetics direct website.

Check some reviews for the ETP and you'll see it's got a good reputation as a beginner's detector that you won't outgrow quickly. Better than the 300? I can't say. But I can guarantee that the Minuteman plus a $100 pinpointer will bring you much more enjoyment much, much faster than a pricier detector on

+1

Man, holy cow!!! A five year warranty!!! I am digging that. However, I am looking at the Eurotek Pro. Anyone have any info on that machine? I mean like experience with it. I might be headed in that direction. Thanks.

I've been using mine for a little over a year now and have been very pleased. It's got a nice range of audio levels for such a low-cost machine - a deep grunt for iron, an irregular squeal for mid-tones, and a nice clear high tone. The VDI isn't perfect, and I've still got a lot to learn, but I'm at the point where I can pretty confidently ID pennies, dimes, quarters, and obvious junk before digging. It's no depth monster though, the majority of my finds have been at 4" or less.

The most common owner complaint is with the built-in pinpoint button - but that won't be an issue at all if you use the money you save on a separate pinpointer, plus I haven't heard anything about the issue since the Minuteman rebranding.

Well, that doesn't sound too promising. The pinpoint feature not being that great. I will have a separate pinpointer at some point. Thanks.

Well, now, the Teknetics Eurotek Pro has had some pinpointer issues. Something about the PP button being wonky. Anyone know about this? Was it fixed? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom