Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 06-27-2018, 05:07 PM

Default Weatherproof/Waterproof detectors

Hello -

I'm looking to upgrade from my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV to something a bit more robust. I live in the grater Seattle area, and do quite a bit of hunting in rainy, damp conditions. So far the BH has tolerated the weather, but I really want something that I won't have to worry about during drizzly hunts.

I'm aware of the Fisher R22 & F44 as weatherproof machines, and my hunting buddy uses a Garret AT Pro. What other weatherproof/waterproof machines are on the market in the sub $1,000 range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:55 PM
Supporter

Have you looked at the Equinox? Waterproof, light as a feather and under $1,000 for the 800, $650 for the 600.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:00 PM
Supporter

Default cheep fix

Originally Posted by WBKilburn View post
Hello -

I'm looking to upgrade from my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV to something a bit more robust. I live in the grater Seattle area, and do quite a bit of hunting in rainy, damp conditions. So far the BH has tolerated the weather, but I really want something that I won't have to worry about during drizzly hunts.

I'm aware of the Fisher R22 & F44 as weatherproof machines, and my hunting buddy uses a Garret AT Pro. What other weatherproof/waterproof machines are on the market in the sub $1,000 range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
A plastic shower cap will do the job in light or sudden rain, If you ever stay at a hotel they are often in the room free.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ron 71 View post
Have you looked at the Equinox? Waterproof, light as a feather and under $1,000 for the 800, $650 for the 600.
What wasn't clear to me about the Equinox is whether the controller box is weatherproof or not. I read the standard "waterproof coil" feature, but I couldn't tell if the electronics would get fried in a downpour.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by davidlhyde63366 View post
A plastic shower cap will do the job in light or sudden rain, If you ever stay at a hotel they are often in the room free.
HA! I like how you think! I've tried lots of "economy" covers for my BH. Finally gave up, and hunt without now.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:15 PM

The equinox is waterproof up to 10ft. Its one of if not the best waterproof detector sub $1000. I've taken mine in the ocean and its done just fine.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:33 PM
Supporter

Default cover

Originally Posted by WBKilburn View post
HA! I like how you think! I've tried lots of "economy" covers for my BH. Finally gave up, and hunt with out ,ready for that new unit now.
I have both a Fisher F4 & a Bounty Hunter tracker IV the control box on both are not water proof but a cheep shower cap will do the job if you get caught in the rain . As long as it is not raining hard , I can continue. Since the headphones are not water proof I just put them in a plastic bag at tie it shut and run the machines with no head phones. The small shower caps we get free when ever we travel and stay at a motel or hotel , Each night I put the shower cap in the luggage and there is a new on left by room service next time they clean the room, since they were made for one use anyway. Some times there are extras on the maids cart as well. I have also used a small clear trash bag over the control in a pinch. Cheep solution till you are ready to invest in a water proof machine.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:10 PM

In the dismally rainy world of Northwest Europe, Britain, Holland, Denmark,Germany = lots of folks hunt in driving rain with a baggie over their detector control boxes. Been there done that.