Revolutionary War Redoubt finds - Need help to identify

Andrew1776

Hi everyone,

Little back story. Found out about a redoubt in upstate New York dep in the woods. Nobody goes there. Its technically state land, I believe. Parked on the road and found a rough trail that meanders hundreds of feet up over the Hudson River. There is no trash (plastic bottles, wrappers etc.) which tells me hardly anyone ever goes there. Even lightly traffic trails have SOME trash.

Anyway, grabbed my book bag with my detector in it (broke it down into 3 pieces so it would fit), and walked up the steep climb. Nobody was around. Found a few hits right in the middle of the redoubt.

Now in this redoubt you can still see where the earthworks/trenches were and how they dug out dirt and pushed it to the outside creating a wall.

I found what appears to be 2 Rev War Era iron nails (see the pictures, one is bent), some kind of clip (almost like a buckle) and and right on the outside of the redoubt on a steep cliff I got a high pitched hit on my Fisher F5. Less than an inch deep was one of the coolest finds I ever had.It looks like some ornament possibly from a soldiers uniform. There's a word on it but its slowly crumbling even in the time since I found it a few hours ago. First letters looks like a P or an H.

Anyway, guys please look at the pictures and help my identify these finds. There was no trash up there, which is a good sign to me. No beer cans, no pulltaps, nothing!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• uniform ornament 1.jpg
    uniform ornament 1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 584
  • uniform ornament 3.jpg
    uniform ornament 3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 547
  • Nail 1.jpg
    Nail 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 534
  • nail 2.jpg
    nail 2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 519
  • Buckle.jpg
    Buckle.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
That's what stuck out to me. Notice the signature, hand-carved work on there. Looks like 1 rose on both ends. Looks like something that was apart of a uniform or maybe a hat ornament. Like a badge

It would really be embarrassing...expect more than a slap on the wrist if you get busted on state land...

Loop is only big enough to accommodate a fingertip, it’s personalized and femininely ornate, like from the small drawer of something like a jewelry box...

It would really be embarrassing...expect more than a slap on the wrist if you get busted on state land...

Loop is only big enough to accommodate a fingertip, it’s personalized and femininely ornate, like from the small drawer of something like a jewelry box...

More and more im thinking it was from a small chest or box also

Very nice finds Andrew. Like you I'm intrigued.

Our Hudson Valley is littered with Revolutionary redoubt sites. Obviously nothing specific, but in general, where are you searching? I'm lower Hudson Valley here. Not far from the New Windsor Cantonment.

Back
Top Bottom