Civil War relic or something else?

elkgarden1110

Hello, everyone.

I am new here. I was just detecting at a minor Civil War battle site and recovered something that could be related to the battle/war or just be something that's not too far off from roughly the same period. The area was farmed likely between the late 1800s and 1950s, so it could be something related to agriculture. Or, it could be something entirely unrelated to either(?). It is very strong/solid, though the metal is relatively thin.

I did find a cannonball fragment not terribly far from this object, which is clearly a lid or top to something. It obviously had a pin that ran through it and connected to some type of container.

Any help in identifying this piece would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark J.

Attachments

• IMG_1808.jpg
    IMG_1808.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 287
Thanks for the feedback. The item fits in my hand. It could be some type of damper, but it has a "button" like feature on the top which would be odd. It also appears to have a black finish...some type of paint.

I think it is part of an air cleaner from some type gas motor.

Thanks for the air cleaner possibility...still no luck finding something that resembles it online.

I think you could be right...some type of ashtray cover/lid. It doesn't look like any I have seen online, but the design would make sense.

It is most likely automotive related, it looks like a butterfly valve, whether for a carburetor or exhaust gas recirculator. It might be farm related, small engine, auto, etc. Who really knows without some part number on it.

I can't really be positive from the photo, but it looks to me like the two pieces were joined using a spot welder, which would be well past the Civil War

Back
Top Bottom