Big gold coin in Missouri

A few years ago I was contacted by a fellow who wanted to learn to detect. Soon he was equipped with an Ace 250 and pinpointer and the basics of the hobby.

2 weeks later he called me but was whispering so low I couldn’t hear him. I asked why he was whispering and he said he didn’t want anybody to hear him even though he was alone in a field.

I asked why he was being so secretive and he replied “I just peed my pants”

I said “Why are you calling to tell me that?” and he said he was sending me pictures and hung up.

Fearing I was getting pictures of his urine soaked trousers I hesitated to open them but when I did I understood. I would have fouled my pants too.

His second hunt. His second target. An 1876 $20 Double Eagle. I told him I hate him. Since then he also found a $1 gold coin in the same area.

I hate him twice as much. But I must be a decent trainer

I hate that guy and I don’t even know him! Lol. Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the kind reply’s. I’ve been back to pound this area twice with no joy. Boy it is absolutely solid iron signal tho in the entire area. Managed a wheat penny from within a few yards. Will just keep going back till my ears bleed from iron grunt. It seems all so much more surreal since. It makes me think about how every spot we visit probably has something amazing we might just not be quite getting over. All the best in 2020!

A few years back I helped a man get started detecting. We got him geared up with an Ace 250 and pinpointer and he knew the basics and I set him off.

Two weeks later I get a call from him. He said he ws sending me pictures of his second find. I couldn’t believe it but he had an 1876 $20 Double Eagle.

I hate him.

According to historical data I found, gold was ~$20.67 in 1861, so it was worth more than face value even back then.

Taking inflation into account, that coin was worth roughly the equivalent of $586.30 in today's dollars when it was lost.

Not a happy day for whoever lost that coin 160 years ago.

What can be said that has not already been said? Surely that coin is a remarkable discovery! His Majesty dares to think that there is not one detectorist in any forum that having read your story and seen the pictures is not amazed! We all love finding the gold and silver jewelry, but this size gold coin, from the CW period, in such an unlikely area, is proof that truth is stranger than fiction!

Royal Congrats!

Wow, the big twenty too yet. Huge congratulations to you sir and welcome to the club, you're one gold ahead of me. My last one is my avatar photo. Missouri must be good for gold coins, its where I'm from. A year and a half old posting and I just now ran across your amazing find. Again congratulations!!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Congrats on an amazing find! Even more incredible to find on a property with the family history!

This week my great aunt passed away. She was in her mid 90s. Last year I met with her and she is the one that gave us directions to where the old homestead stood. She lived there a short time about 90 years ago when it still stood. I might very well have never found this if it hadn’t been for her memories. Go gather those old family memories while they are still with us!

Back
Top Bottom