My first coin roll hunt - how'd I do???

RON8O

I went down to the bank today to make a deposit and asked "you have any hand-rolled half dollars?" Two banks resulted in $48 in halves. Here's everything I found PRE-1971...how did I do?

1 - 1920 - edges are very worn, "1920" really only has the "20" and part of the 9 still visible
1 - 1947
1 - 1952
1 - 1961
2 - 1962
1 - 1963
14 - 1964
5 - 1965
1 - 1966
2 - 1967

Clearly I'm very new to this coin roll hunting, and would appreciate your thoughts on how I did and what else I should look for on these coins.

Thanks in advance!

Wow, that is amazing! I went through $220 in halves and got skunked. I guess the secret is to ask for hand rolled coins. Good thinking!

If you found only the 1920 out of all $48, Id say you did well. Sounds like someone didnt know what they were rolling.

or didnt care.

Two Walking Liberties, a Ben Franklin and 18 1964 and before Kennedy Halfs...you did TREMENDOUS!

oh yeah...I really couldn't be more pleased with the results from my outing. I know it may be beginners luck, but I'm not going to give up. ;)

out of curiosity, anyone have any idea on the value of the 1920 half dollar?

Liberty Half

1920 from $7.50 - $700 depending on grade
1920D from $10.00 - $3,750 depending on grade
1920S from $7.50 - $3,000 depending on grade

Good info, thanks S!

where are the D and S designations on these coins? Mind you, I don't think mine is either a D or an S, but it would be nice to know where to look.

This 1920 I have is very worn around the edges (as would just about anything that's 88 years old), so I'm guessing it's worth the lower end of your range. Good to know!

The mintmark would be on the reverse, just to the left of the "H" in Half Dollar. You see a reed looking thing, it would be under it on the left side.

The mintmark would be on the reverse, just to the left of the "H" in Half Dollar. You see a reed looking thing, it would be under it on the left side.

ok, so just below what look like a bunch of leaves and to the left of the H in Half-Dollar. I see an S...extremely small and needed my magnifying glass, but it's an S. COOL

S,

is there a site someplace that lists out these values? I'd like to investigate the '47 and all my Franklins (all D designation) too.

Thanks!

I use the Red Book, but if you don;t have one... just go to google and type in something like, Half Dollar values... plenty of links will come up :yes:

Back
Top Bottom