Need some advice.

jayallday01

I have alot of coins I have found on the beaches and in the water here in Hawaii. Some were fresh drops and have zero crud on them. Some have been there a long while and are really nasty, some to the point where you can't read the date. I would like to tumble them, but need to know that if there are any silvers (64 and older) in the bunch, would tumbling them with clad hurt or damage them in any way?

Also in that bunch of coins there are the pennies. They seem to take the worst beating of all the coins. Some to the point where it looks like a circular piece of sand. I know the penny is in there though. Will tumbling help those pennies become pennies again?

Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

Jay,  answer to first  question  is  yes.  Don't  tumble any silver.  If it is blackened it  is most likely  not  silver.  Silver coins come out of the ground or water  like  they went in, even if  they were dropped  50 years ago.  If you tumble  coins  keep  the pennies  by themself.  A lot of the clad pennies  if  they have been in salt water  or acid soil may lose the copper  cladding  when tumbled.  Keep  the wastebasket  handy  when you take  them out.  Any coin  that is crusted  that  your not sure of soak in olive oil  for a  month or so............. :roll:...Gil

RECENTLY FOUND A 1944 MERC, IT DID NOT COME OUT CLEAN AND I HAD TO USE VEGITABLE OIL TO CLEAN IT BEFORE I COULD TELL WHAT IT WAS. I WAS SURPRISED BECAUSE I THOUGHT SILVER CAME OUT OF THE GROUND CLEAN.

Thanks for the info...it seems to me that there are not too many old coins here. And if there are they are in places that are off limits to detecting, like areas around Pearl Harbor. But in about a year I will be leaving here, going back to the mainland!!! I have already rcvd permission from the historical society from my parents hometown to hunt there. Sparta, Ga. Most of the homes there date back to the early 1800's. There is bound to be some silver there!!! Alot of Civil War history too.

Well, I guess I have no silver so its all getting tumbled!!!! Thanks folks!!

Back
Top Bottom