SE Explorer Pro Question

ollievon

Elite Member
Just curious, but how many of those still using this machine have ever tried the learn feature of the machine...basically, fill the screen with full reject and then scan a number of coins you have found (one at a time, obviously) for it to accept and then save, on the to next coin, etc.

I just wondered since over my 20+ years of MDing I've got a nice collection of finds (Mercs, IH, flying eagle cents, standing quarter, Walkers, Morgans, etc.) so I'm wondering if the learn feature would be beneficial in a park - I like the dig as much as the next person, but if I can always get a leg up on the discrimination train, I'm always for it.

But, yes I know that I may (and probably always will miss something), but I feel guilty not using the machines advantages over my old 705.

Right now I have the screen opened up NO IRON MASK, and I'm just relying on tone alone - which I always have and I've learned to dig by tone, same as I graduated do on the 705, just run it ALL METAL and listen.

So, are all the bells and whistles something to be ignored...or does the learn feature have some merits?

I would not rely on that feature. The reason is: There are random "bounces" (up or down) that you would likewise be teaching the machine to accept.

Or if you were to study the *exact* cross-hairs, and edit in *just* that coordinate, you would miss out on the "bounce" when in actual field conditions (unless it were shallow and hit consistently in that narrow window each time).

Better to just memorize where, on the 3d screen that your objects are in the range of. And once you're on a suspected targets, if you wave over it, x-ing 90* around it, centering it to get to the strongest signal, you can eventually figure out the recurring possible spot, even despite the bounces.

The only targets that would hit all-the-time on a single area, would be shallow ones. If you're going to make "zones", be sure to make them very broad, and then let your ears d/t the judging. Or do the zones only for things you want to tune OUT. Not things you want to tune IN.

I condone the above post wholeheartedly. You COULD use the coin scan widget but this would lose accuracy if the targets you were after were deep,on edge,in highly mineralized dirt or around garbage. That pretty much sums up any good coin I've ever dug! I agree that after knowing where the coins you want to find actually hit on the screen,you can apply some discrimination so you don't have to listen to EVERYTHING. A SMALL COIL would make your plan more viable,though depth would suffer somewhat to some degree....
I have 2 Explorer setups...one wide open Ferrous,one with the right upper quadrant of the screen open,nothing else. When one doesn't produce or gets to be too much or too quiet,I go to the other. The Explorers have the horsepower and features to do many things...

What Tom said! The SE and all explorers are really simple to set up. The bells and whistles aren't even needed in my opinion. Just a little iron mask and manual sensitivity and a trained ear are all you need to find deep coins that have been missed by other detectors. Remember: more discrimination equals fewer deep, old coins.

... Remember: more discrimination equals fewer deep, old coins.

To expand on what Mike is saying: It's NOT that the deep old coins won't have "bounces" into the right TID zone. They will. But it's a question of "averages" when you're talking the deeper ones. They are more "fluty" in tones (the "flute" = the "bounces"). But within the fluty orchestra, you can make out the probability of likely TID. Especially once you've gotten to know deep vs shallow, big vs small, etc... in the tones.

If your TID disc. black-out pattern is too concise, then you're only getting a positive audio "beep" when the exact pass of the coil has captured *just that* exact TID cross-hairs.

So it's not as if you're digging into TID categories you DON'T want (like if you were going to pass iron, foil, tabs, or whatever). It's just that your mind will pick out which signals are "trying" to bounce into the correct category with an "average" of bounces.

Also: even if you're in relic mindset (ie.: dig all except iron), the TID feature is still fun to have. There's no breath-holding feel that can compare to getting a perfect "penny/dime" high conductor signal, when you're at a stage stop or cellar hole location that hasn't seen human activity for over 100 yrs. :)

Back
Top Bottom