Anyone ever detect old fishing holes?

spenglure

Elite Member
You know the ones I'm talking about. The old worn-down shore angling spots along lake shores where your grandpa (or great grandpa) fished. Not talking about the sandy beaches, I'm referring to areas right off the old dirt bank. Just wondering if anyone had success hunting such locations? I have a few spots in mind. Besides a lot of lead fishing weights, might be possible someone lost some silver sitting on the old bucket.

You know the ones I'm talking about. The old worn-down shore angling spots along lake shores where your grandpa (or great grandpa) fished. Not talking about the sandy beaches, I'm referring to areas right off the old dirt bank. Just wondering if anyone had success hunting such locations? I have a few spots in mind. Besides a lot of lead fishing weights, might be possible someone lost some silver sitting on the old bucket.

No, but I would be careful with using my hands trying to locate a find in case it's an old fish hook ! :shock:

A lot of old fishing holes were swimming holes too..

When it got hot, they didn't go to another spot to swim...

Lots of lead, brass from shotgun shells, and pull tabs.. But included might be some silver and gold too!

Fishhooks rust away really quick...

<°)))>{

I found an old fishing hole hidden in the woods in a big park that also had a huge lake so this spot hadn't been used in a long time.
I found hooks and lead weights and a couple of clad coins but two other better things came out of the bank of this pond.
Banks near water might seem dry but they usually have held more than their share of moisture over time.
Silver that is exposed to moisture will react chemically and sulfer compounds are given off so heavy tarnish will make silver look black.
I found a ring at this site that confused me because it was more tarnished than any I had ever seen but the 925 mark gave it away, and months later I discovered a silver quarter that had to come from this site that I didn't know was silver until I tumbled it clean.

Where people hang out the possibilities are endless and you never know until you try.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1441999411001.jpg
    PicsArt_1441999411001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 300
  • PicsArt_1442004463012.jpg
    PicsArt_1442004463012.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 298
  • PicsArt_1442004478460 (1).jpg
    PicsArt_1442004478460 (1).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 310
  • 20150331_122446.jpg
    20150331_122446.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 297
Found my first gold ring at a little pond in a park where people fish. It was up near a tree close to it. A place that seemed logical someone would put down there tackle box and other gear. Found plenty of sinkers and lures near it as well. Have to be extra careful digging those areas. Not somewhere you want to be clawing at the walls of a plug with bare hands, or even gloved hands just cause your pointer is going off and you know it's close. Not sure about anyone else but I'm not a fan of tetanus shots.

I detect fishing holes all summer long. Beside sinkers and lures lots of glass and shotgun shell bottoms. Older hooks are history and as long as you dig carefully you won't get cut. Those shotgun shell bottoms are SHARP also. Just don't be too anxious to find your target.

I found an old fishing hole hidden in the woods in a big park that also had a huge lake so this spot hadn't been used in a long time.
I found hooks and lead weights and a couple of clad coins but two other better things came out of the bank of this pond.
Banks near water might seem dry but they usually have held more than their share of moisture over time.
Silver that is exposed to moisture will react chemically and sulfer compounds are given off so heavy tarnish will make silver look black.
I found a ring at this site that confused me because it was more tarnished than any I had ever seen but the 925 mark gave it away, and months later I discovered a silver quarter that had to come from this site that I didn't know was silver until I tumbled it clean.

Where people hang out the possibilities are endless and you never know until you try.

Wow, cool find!!

I detect fishing holes all summer long. Beside sinkers and lures lots of glass and shotgun shell bottoms. Older hooks are history and as long as you dig carefully you won't get cut. Those shotgun shell bottoms are SHARP also. Just don't be too anxious to find your target.

The glass is a concern. But most places I detect have glass so as long as you where gloves it should be okay.

Oh yeah, old fishing and swimming holes can be productive. You get lots of sinkers, pull tabs, bottle caps, etc. but where people gathered and spent time they dropped stuff. Also, don't forget, alcohol plus swimming or fishing means dropped/lost items!

Oh yeah, old fishing and swimming holes can be productive. You get lots of sinkers, pull tabs, bottle caps, etc. but where people gathered and spent time they dropped stuff. Also, don't forget, alcohol plus swimming or fishing means dropped/lost items!

X2 - absolutely - swing fast to find where people gathered and then slow way down. Hit the swimming hole very hard during a drought.

GL & HH

Also, keep in mind human nature. People like privacy, so look for spots where folks can change clothes, use the bathroom, and do other private things, that are nearby.

A lot of old fishing holes were swimming holes too..

When it got hot, they didn't go to another spot to swim...

Lots of lead, brass from shotgun shells, and pull tabs.. But included might be some silver and gold too!

Fishhooks rust away really quick...

<°)))>{

Old fishing spots can be great locations. :yes:

Out this way these were used to fish, swim and ice skate on during the winters.

I've found many ancient hockey pucks while digging signals.

Before a/c this is where people had to go to cool off.

Hit them hard during the dry season! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom