Any RV'ers or travelling detectorists out there?

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
Just wondering...Gotta be right? Traveling with the seasons and hunting out of the way lakes/fields/beaches and whatnot? So hows that working out? Like that one New Forum Member last week mentioned he goes out to the Black Hills, camps out, and pans gold all Summer?

With this rapid form of communication we have, and the amount of retirees, you would think this would be common? I remember a few years back, one guy from Montana contacted a lot of us, planned out a route and went on a whirlwind detecting spree, drove across the Country and hunted with a lot of members and wrote a cool post about his adventure!!

Just wondering...going to a RV show this weekend, just to kick tires, trick-or-treat for freebies and flesh out this idea perhaps.....A guys gotta do something...No easy clad around here anymore, and I'm tired of the same old faces!...:laughing:
Mud

Last edited:
I'm half and half at this point.
Lived in the RV for a while (14 months straight at one stretch, and about 2½ of the past 3½ years total) and plan to again as soon as I can get moved out of my house. Circumnavigated the country twice in that time. The second time around I was stopping and playing Disc Golf in as many states and on as many courses as I could. Next time out I will be looking for places to detect!! After yesterday (went to NJ), I'll be spending A LOT more time on the beaches!!!!
Lack of space in the bus is one of the reasons I may try to find the one do-all machine (ctx probably) rather than trying to find space to put away multiple detectors.

Attachments

• Vogue.jpg
    Vogue.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 458
Hi Mud. I've been to the U.P. several times. Camp out and detect shorelines for old coins and old tailings piles for copper. I found my oldest coin in Hancock on the shores of portage lake.(see signature). I also camp out in the Black Hills to detect and pan for gold. Gotta try new areas.

one of the reasons I got into the MD hobby was I own a MH. We have 325 acres in western Oklahoma that was the old homestead of the family. Last time we went out I was wishing I had a MD. We travel all summer when the school teacher is off. She quilts and now I MD :clapping:

I know your gonna loose alot of money on the resale and they cost alot to fuel up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

I know your gonna loose alot of money on the resale and they cost alot to fuel up
:laughing::laughing:

Don't buy a new one. I can drive mine from coast to coast and back for the cost of one months mortgage payment on my house. It also gets better gas mileage than my Ford Econoline van.

And there is nothing that compares with the experience of being out there living on the road. NOTHING!!

I bought used, figured out that staying in a motel and having the motor home was a wash. The plus side, it I can take my home with me and sleep in my own bed.

The kicker is we own the mineral rights on the property we own and have two oil wells on it that draw an income. We make way more then the gas money spent on a MH.

The best part i think of rv's is getting to bring you own bathroom when you travel rest stops are nasty

RV'ing and detecting as you go would be the perfect life. Only I would have to move to the mainland to do it as driving around the island is the only option I have for the moment. I also have to keep my wife from killing me as I dont think I could sell her on that life style. To her roughing it is a hotel without room service. Oh well, I can dream.

The best part i think of rv's is getting to bring you own bathroom when you travel rest stops are nasty

It's definitely a plus. Not just rest stops, anywhere you go you have your own bathroom. And your bed, like LifeMember said. And all your other stuff. And the freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want.
I'm currently working my butt off on this old house so I can sell it and get back in the RV full time. It was the best 17 months of my life driving around the country in it twice. Wake up one morning in the Redwood Forrest National Park, the next morning literally on a beach. A few weeks later it's morning coffee at the Grand Canyon. Spend a week parked in the kids driveway in Texas. Stop in to see some friends in Chicago and spend a week eating nothing but Pizza (Pequod's, trust me!). Not to mention the jobs you can get!! Yep, I'm dying to get back on the road!!!!
I haven't come up with a downside to it yet.

I've got about 4.5 years until I completely retire. My plan is a diesel pick up, a 25' Travel Trailer, and hunting, fishing and metal detecting all over the US for a couple years. Sounds amazing. Problem is all you guys will have already found all the good stuff by the time I start, lol. :no::no:

My work keeps me on the road all year and I have had the pleasure of detecting in 24 different states mostly the Mid West and East Coast, I find it interesting to research the history and sites in different areas and enjoy meeting different dectorists that i have run across.

RVing is a lifestyle, what is RVing about? Where you spend a fortune to live like the homeless and enjoy every minute of it. Like MDing you can spend a little on the equipment of a lot on the equipment and still enjoy the experience. I have not been MDing long but look forward to finding my first pull tab. My goal is to find one in every state I go RVing in. :woot:

I bought used, figured out that staying in a motel and having the motor home was a wash. The plus side, it I can take my home with me and sleep in my own bed.

The kicker is we own the mineral rights on the property we own and have two oil wells on it that draw an income. We make way more then the gas money spent on a MH.

It's definitely a plus. Not just rest stops, anywhere you go you have your own bathroom. And your bed, like LifeMember said. And all your other stuff. I haven't come up with a downside to it yet.

......not to mention being able to avoid the potential of getting bed bugs from staying in motels ! (and bed bugs are not usually the motel's fault, as the bed bugs have to be brought there by a guest staying in the room and the bugs are still there for the next guest who then complains and the motel then knows they have to treat that room and usually the room on either side to be sure)

I know there are many good motel housekeepers, but there is the occasional lazy one, I used to work as a motel clerk/auditor and there was one lazy housekeeper who kept getting in trouble for not doing a good cleaning of the rooms, even not changing the sheets ! On the plus side another one of the housekeepers said she valued her job and was determined to do it right.

IF you do stay in a motel take a hand held UV light and UV safety glasses and you might be surprised what you see in some instances.

That could be the life. Traveling, stopping for as long as you like, meeting new people MD'ing with forum friends. It would be a good chance to try our styles of hunting that we've learned in our areas and see how they work in different parts of the country. It would be great to make it back home with the relics and finds from around the country and the memories.

I'm half and half at this point.
Lived in the RV for a while (14 months straight at one stretch, and about 2½ of the past 3½ years total) and plan to again as soon as I can get moved out of my house. Circumnavigated the country twice in that time. The second time around I was stopping and playing Disc Golf in as many states and on as many courses as I could. Next time out I will be looking for places to detect!! After yesterday (went to NJ), I'll be spending A LOT more time on the beaches!!!!
Lack of space in the bus is one of the reasons I may try to find the one do-all machine (ctx probably) rather than trying to find space to put away multiple detectors.

Please don't do green lettering. I would love to read what you have to say but I have a hard time making it out

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Mrs Mud and I went to the RV show yesterday..First time ever....WOW!! A few very important things I learned...In the last few years the RV sales to Millenials (Young people) has risen over 50%...I thought it was just old duffer retirees? They say its because the Country is in a State of flux and the young dont know where they want to settle or have to chase jobs around the Country, cant afford a house/rent etc...These young People dont even know how to air up a tire let alone replace a windshield wiper blade!

The dealers also said if you have mechanical/electrical/plumbing/HVAC service skills, you will have NO lack of work fixing the various issues that arise for this group! They said a lack of fixit guys is a big problem in the Industry and that subject comes up all the time at their meetings...but they have no solution to develop any training programs since theres so much cross skill disciplines to an RV that can or will break sooner or later...

Jack of All Trades really, just like owning a house and cars/boat...Some guys can fix cars and some can fix houses, some guys do glass work on boats, but if you are good at just about everything along these lines, then Hell yeah!...

So yeah...I learned some things...they finance some of these rigs for 30yrs too!:laughing: Talk about a steep depreciation curve! Like about straight down! Looking used of course, or a wreck to rebuild...RVers...Is this information valid?
Mud

Mrs Mud and I went to the RV show yesterday..First time ever....WOW!! A few very important things I learned...In the last few years the RV sales to Millenials (Young people) has risen over 50%...I thought it was just old duffer retirees? They say its because the Country is in a State of flux and the young dont know where they want to settle or have to chase jobs around the Country, cant afford a house/rent etc...These young People dont even know how to air up a tire let alone replace a windshield wiper blade!

The dealers also said if you have mechanical/electrical/plumbing/HVAC service skills, you will have NO lack of work fixing the various issues that arise for this group! They said a lack of fixit guys is a big problem in the Industry and that subject comes up all the time at their meetings...but they have no solution to develop any training programs since theres so much cross skill disciplines to an RV that can or will break sooner or later...

Jack of All Trades really, just like owning a house and cars/boat...Some guys can fix cars and some can fix houses, some guys do glass work on boats, but if you are good at just about everything along these lines, then Hell yeah!...

Mud

Yup, That about sums it up.

Well i'm 25 now and I've spent the last 3 years or so being what i like to call a "professional traveler" bouncing around doing odd jobs wherever like a wine vintage in New Zealand, a batch of cider down in Tasmania, Freight work in South Africa, stuff like that.

But the best part is i always have my AT Pro in my bag so in the last 3 years i've managed to detect in 7 countries some a bit better than others haha but yeah its a great hobby for travelling around. Plus i've found its a great way to start conversations with the locals and it's really been an aid for finding work or just generally getting a taste of the real local culture.

It's definitely a plus. Not just rest stops, anywhere you go you have your own bathroom. And your bed, like LifeMember said. And all your other stuff. And the freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want.
I'm currently working my butt off on this old house so I can sell it and get back in the RV full time. It was the best 17 months of my life driving around the country in it twice. Wake up one morning in the Redwood Forrest National Park, the next morning literally on a beach. A few weeks later it's morning coffee at the Grand Canyon. Spend a week parked in the kids driveway in Texas. Stop in to see some friends in Chicago and spend a week eating nothing but Pizza (Pequod's, trust me!). Not to mention the jobs you can get!! Yep, I'm dying to get back on the road!!!!
I haven't come up with a downside to it yet.

You're right about Pequod's, i'm back home in chicago at the moment and thats one of the first places i went hahaha

Back
Top Bottom