ATP 5x8 coil

WildDigger

Elite Member
The other day I slipped on some slick creek rocks and my 5x8 coil hit hard. It chipped a bit of the epoxy off that was factory. When I checked it out closer at home and removed the rest I noticed 2 cracks. I do not know if they where from the fall or there under the epoxy to entire time. This coil is way out of warranty and I need this coil for some spots. To all the gurus would you just re-epoxy it and hope for the best or trash it? ****** Everything rings up in the 40's or 50's even silver coins. So guess it is trash and I am out of a 5x8..******

If it was me i would just epoxy it. I dont think there are any electronics in the spot where the cracks are - more for strength.

I would run some epoxy in the cracks to set them first, and then re-epoxy the coil

just my opinion

If it was me i would just epoxy it. I dont think there are any electronics in the spot where the cracks are - more for strength.

I would run some epoxy in the cracks to set them first, and then re-epoxy the coil

just my opinion

A DD coil should have wires there too. They overlap I thought???

Does it still work like it's supposed to? If so, I would resurface it with the white marine grade epoxy from locktite.. It seems to be the most recommended stuff according to most of the pirates in the water hunting section... I haven't used it myself..

Good luck brother!!

<°)))>{

Does it still work like it's supposed to? If so, I would resurface it with the white marine grade epoxy from locktite.. It seems to be the most recommended stuff according to most of the pirates in the water hunting section... I haven't used it myself..

Good luck brother!!

<°)))>{

I need to test it. LOL It was acting up after I fell so I just swapped coils to the stock one and let it dry out for a few days... I will update you in a minute. LOL

Good luck brother!!

<°)))>{

Well it seems everything rings up in the 40's to 50's even a silver dime and clad quarter. So I guess it is screwed and so am I as I can not replace it at this time... Ohhh well...

Well it seems everything rings up in the 40's to 50's even a silver dime and clad quarter. So I guess it is screwed and so am I as I can not replace it at this time... Ohhh well...

Shoot...

Unfortunately it's the most preferred coil too so they are almost never for sale used either..

I'll let you know if I see any steals on one..

<°)))>{

If it still functions properly just epoxy. What do you have to lose. Let us know how it turns out.

Sent it to Garrett..and ask if they can help you out....just say you saw some crack appearing in it....................................Send ..your address and phone #

look at the good side.

Your stock coil is gonna cover more ground and get you more depth. May just want to dry it out and seal up the crack. Good luck.

A DD coil should have wires there too. They overlap I thought???

There are wires in there and they do overlap on the tips. Looks like it's cracked at the middle rear fin. You might want to let it dry out totally for a few days (I think you said you were in water when it hit hard) and then check to see how it ID's again. If it's fine, then poxy that sucker a few times to create multiple seals. If it's still not working, well ?

There are wires in there and they do overlap on the tips. Looks like it's cracked at the middle rear fin. You might want to let it dry out totally for a few days (I think you said you were in water when it hit hard) and then check to see how it ID's again. If it's fine, then poxy that sucker a few times to create multiple seals. If it's still not working, well ?

I tested it after it dried out for 2 days and while drying out sat it in the sunlight. I will be recheck ingredients in a few more but knowing the wires are thin I think it broke a few. We will see. Thanks.

Your stock coil is gonna cover more ground and get you more depth. May just want to dry it out and seal up the crack. Good luck.

When hunting in heavy iron and large rocks in water the 5x8 is a beast. There is a time and place for coil size. There is no 1 coil for the job.

If it checks out fine. I would just spray it with truck bed liner spray. Just make sure it does not have any metallic objects in it.

As has been said, if you don't have Garrett fix it then I'd let it dry, wick some thin cyanoacrylate into the cracks because I don't think epoxy will seep in very deep, then epoxy over the top and use coil cover.

As has been said, if you don't have Garrett fix it then I'd let it dry, wick some thin cyanoacrylate into the cracks because I don't think epoxy will seep in very deep, then epoxy over the top and use coil cover.

It is toast... It still only registers anything at 45 and it has to rub the coil.

Back
Top Bottom