X-TERRA 705 coil came apart

Sub Dude

Forum Supporter
No...not the ears. The bottom of the coil. Did my coil come apart or is this just a cover that is made to come apart? Should I contact Minelab?

Attachments

• IMG_20160814_111040.jpg
    IMG_20160814_111040.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_20160814_111136.jpg
    IMG_20160814_111136.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_20160814_111208.jpg
    IMG_20160814_111208.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 417
That is just the coil cover !!!! Don't panic, just remember to remove now and then to clean under the cover after hunting to prevent false signals.

lol :laughing:

Super happy your coil didn't come apart! As stated, it's just a coil cover to protect your coil.

I don't have anything but my Bounty Hunter Platinum to compare it to. The bottom of the coil on the BHP doesn't look anything like this. This one almost looks like the manufacturing process is incomplete. Had the BHP looked like this I would have never used it without a cover. :no:

The reason I kind of freaked out is that the cover came off so easily. It got snagged on a root and off it came. !!!? :wow: Am I doomed to having this thing flop off all the time now? :?: Is there a way to help it stay on more securely?

Thanks for the replies! :D

Not sure from the pictures, could be shadows and reflection, but looks like the potting material oozed to one side, leaving voids, and a high point. Could be why the cover just pops off. Cable ties should hold it in place, and should last a good while, wire cutters remove them easy.

If there are voids, I'd be a little concerned the potting resin isn't going to do it's job properly, which is to preserve the shape of the coil. Bang it around might not be good.

I don't have anything but my Bounty Hunter Platinum to compare it to. The bottom of the coil on the BHP doesn't look anything like this. This one almost looks like the manufacturing process is incomplete. Had the BHP looked like this I would have never used it without a cover. :no:

The reason I kind of freaked out is that the cover came off so easily. It got snagged on a root and off it came. !!!? :wow: Am I doomed to having this thing flop off all the time now? :?: Is there a way to help it stay on more securely?

Thanks for the replies! :D

Do not hunt without the coil cover or you will eventually destroy your coil. So, if it is very loose and won't stay on then use small zip ties to hold on. When you need to clean under the coil just cut zip ties off, clean and replace with more ties. Best of luck!

I don't use coil covers on most of my detectors and I have never had any problems. A layer of electrical or duct tape around the edge of your coil should make enough difference for the cover to stay on.

Do not hunt without the coil cover or you will eventually destroy your coil. So, if it is very loose and won't stay on then use small zip ties to hold on. When you need to clean under the coil just cut zip ties off, clean and replace with more ties. Best of luck!

Never have used a cover. Never had an issue with a coil. Just a lucky fella I guess...:laughing:

I wish the covers on my AT Pro would come off that easy! I feel like I'm going to break the coil trying to remove and install them, like mentioned above, just use several small zip ties to keep the coil cover on if it is loose enough to fall off.

wow I have the same coil and just found out it has a cover :laughing: as stated above I did notice a little dirt between them, should this be clean on a regular basis ?

Your good to go man. Definitely put some small zip ties around the coil with the cover on. I've never had issues with my coils without covers or with. BUT a good friend of mine has a small Crack in his AT Gold coil and whenever it gets wet, his machine goes nuckin futs! Most likely occurred after hitting something with no cover on it. Definitely wiser to use one if it is available, but by no means is it mandatory. HH!

Back
Top Bottom