Heavily damaged Kennedy

worm12ga

Elite Member
I just cleaned out a bunch of non-silver, circulated half dollars I had stashed away as a kid. In the mix there was one that someone clearly put in a vice, making it out-of-round and slightly bent. It will never go through a coin sorting machine.

Do banks still exchange coins like this? It's only $.50 but I'd hate to just throw it in the copper scrap bucket.

Buy yourself a soda or candy bar with it at the corner store.

I find most small stores hesitant to accept halves or dollar coins even in good condition these days.

"A lot of candy machines etc. won't accept halves. But banks (and stores for that matter) should still give you cash for them."

Again I don't expect any stores to accept a mangled half dollar, especially when half the cashiers have probably never even seen one. The bank I regularly use only accepts coins that pass through their coin machine (TD Bank). Due to the condition, I already know this will not pass through a vending machine or a bank coin sorting machine.

Yes, a lot of places are hesitant to accept them. Being offered them as change means they don't want them in their register. I even had a fast food employee call over his manager to confirm that they accepted sacajewea dollars.

I have only ever encountered one store in my life that gave out halves and dollar coins as change unless I peeked into their drawer and asked for them.

Store merchants do not have to accept any currency or cash for payment if they do not desire to, there is no law that forces them. Normally, a bank might cooperate and exchange a normal Kennedy for a mangled one, if they even have a Kennedy half.

Back
Top Bottom