New Stavr Lip

fsa46

Forum Supporter
002-23.jpg

005-13.jpg

We all know it doesn't take long to wear down a lip on a scoop and stainless is no exception, ( although it takes longer to wear down than aluminum ).

However, the Stavr scoop doesn't have as much material from the end of the scoop to the holes, so it can be a problem a lot sooner.

Casual users will not have a problem, but hunting a lot will. I noticed my scoop had enough wear that I wanted to address the issue BEFORE I had a problem.

I added a 14 gauge piece and I'm good to go. There are many guys out there that hunt a lot like Max and those are the fellas that want to keep an eye on that edge.

002-23.jpg

005-13.jpg

We all know it doesn't take long to wear down a lip on a scoop and stainless is no exception, ( although it takes longer to wear down aluminum ).

However, the Stavr scoop doesn't have as much material from the end of the scoop to the holes, so it can be a problem a lot sooner.
That is a nice mod! I think you did a typo though since aluminum wears down much faster than stainless, not the other way around. The scoop you have is the Stavr with the shorter lip. It was designed for faster sifting but not to be used in rocky tough sand. The monstrik 10 has a much longer lip before the holes start. What you now have is close to the monstrik. You did a great mod, hope your scoop works well and gold appears in it often!

That is a nice mod! I think you did a typo though since aluminum wears down much faster than stainless, not the other way around. The scoop you have is the Stavr with the shorter lip. It was designed for faster sifting but not to be used in rocky tough sand. The monstrik 10 has a much longer lip before the holes start. What you now have is close to the monstrik. You did a great mod, hope your scoop works well and gold appears in it often!

Yes, it was a typo, thanks for pointing it out....I left out " than".

I also use my Stavr in small stone areas and it was wearing down significantly. It's not my main scoop because we hunt in some harsh areas but it is my #1 sand scoop. However, even using it in these conditions, the wear was happening. Just thought I would point it out so people can keep an eye on it.

Should work good! I'd have did the same thing.Don't like those shorter snout scoops were i live for water hunting.I have to dig the scoop in and use it for a brace before the wave hits.Then after the wave dig the hole to hopefully recover the target before the next wave hits.Max added a rock pryer lip to his. Making me another scoop in my spare time.If you ever drilled holes in stainless,you know to own a drill doctor to sharpen bits:lol:

i added a similar one 3 weeks or so ago -smaller

man it works great in those rocks like today
frank - man that is a fine looking mod. there -Nice

Attachments

• scoop1.jpg
    scoop1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 511
  • scoop2.jpg
    scoop2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 541
Should work good! I'd have did the same thing.Don't like those shorter snout scoops were i live for water hunting.I have to dig the scoop in and use it for a brace before the wave hits.Then after the wave dig the hole to hopefully recover the target before the next wave hits.Max added a rock pryer lip to his. Making me another scoop in my spare time.If you ever drilled holes in stainless,you know to own a drill doctor to sharpen bits:lol:

002-12.jpg

004-10.jpg

"Been there done that"... I made this scoop ( I call the Beast ) out of 12 gauge stainless for special scoop killer spots we hunt. No , that's not a typo, the 12 gauge was a killer to drill. I had three drill bits that I kept changing out and sharpening and it was an all day operation. Don't know if I would do that again.

Frank you must have arms like BoBo Brazil.......Nice work buddy...

002-12.jpg

004-10.jpg

"Been there done that"... I made this scoop ( I call the Beast ) out of 12 gauge stainless for special scoop killer spots we hunt. No , that's not a typo, the 12 gauge was a killer to drill. I had three drill bits that I kept changing out and sharpening and it was an all day operation. Don't know if I would do that again.

I hear ya! I pace myself so i don't get tendonitus.Drill that many holes in stages and you feel it for weeks.Nice scoop you made.:thumbsup:

I hear ya! I pace myself so i don't get tendonitus.Drill that many holes in stages and you feel it for weeks.Nice scoop you made.:thumbsup:

After the initial layout and everything was !!!!! punched, 1/4" pilot holes were drilled in ALL locations first. I can't imagine starting off with a 1/2" or 5/8" drill bit and getting it done, not to mention having good accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom