How many hours?

When I can get out in good weather, my hunts are usually at least 10 hours long. I bring along a lunch and plenty of water. No sense wasting daylight when it is available......lol

During the middle of the season,( May - July ) on weekends with good weather I might get in 8- 10 hrs day hunting, packing lunch and water.
After work (Mon-Fri) maybe 2-3 hrs ?
Last season I might have averaged 35 hrs a week during those three months ( May-July)
then less as the daylight hours wained....into the months of fall.

Last edited:
I go for around 6 hours per hunt, usually twice a week. I start very early and am often hunting before sunrise. :sun2:

Yeah it just depends...if its cool and overcast I can go a lot longer than if the Sun is out...I go out very early and am home by 9-10..so 4hrs.....On a cool overcast day, a little rain spitting, like on a Sunday, where nobody is out at the schools and totlots and stuff, I can go 7-8hrs straight...Really its all about the conditions though, I run a route and see whats going on, any good cuts at the beach, any parties in the park last night, sporting events or festival tear downs, etc...

A good way to get a guy up of a morning out of curiosity and go see what happened the night before and what the day is shaping up to be..general scavenger here, cladder, hunter of all things of value...even empty cans..

I used to hunt from sunrise to sunset. Now at 71 I usually only hunt for about three hours unless I get a chance to go to a new site that I haven't hunted before. I can spend all day at one of those. the weather has a lot to do with it too. I hate mud and cold weather . I believe I had frostbite years ago and my hands hurt in cold weather. I still try to hunt as often as I can and for as long as I can depending on what I'm finding.

I use to hunt just maybe 2-3 hours. That is all my attention span would allow for. But, then I met a really bad influence named Jeff who has me hunting 6,7, even 8 hours at a time - even until 1am in sketchy areas.

I hunt anywhere from 1 to 4 hours at a time depending on mood , pain level ( old injuries ) , weather , etc. Lack of finding anything for a while will sometimes make me call it a day as well. For me its important to keep this fun or I lose motivation , as soon as it isnt much fun anymore then its time to pack it in and go home. Hunting beyond the fun threshold can actually spoil the fun and motivation for my next hunt and eventually keep me from hunting at all until I have taken a break for a while. I have tremendous respect for those who can hunt all day , the only way I could do that is if the finds were awesome and non stop.....that has happened before but its rare.

It all depends on how I'm feeling / what I'm finding...usually I stick to around 3-4 hours...but if I find a silver you can bet I will be out there longer!

I get to the beach almost daily if I'm not working, usually for about 3 hrs at a time. Some times more but sometimes less so average 3 hrs per day at least 6 days a week. I need to get out more.

Married, 4 kids, fulltime job, long honeydo lists. If I can get out 2-3 hours on the weekends I'm doing good. Would like to go alot longer but not sure the doghouse is big enough for me and the dog.

5 minutes to 6 hours and anything in between. Some days I set a goal of either a coin total or a dollar amount and those can turn into a marathon hunt

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Ok, complete honesty, I hunt until I have to pee :laughing: No, really, I hunt in fields most of the time. They are very close to home and they are in full view of roads and houses. There is absolutely nowhere private to take a wiz!:lol: The nearest place is literally home! So on weeknights I hunt pretty much from after work until dark 3 or 4 nights a week. On weekends I go out at daybreak, then head home for a while and go back out in the afternoon. Funny thing is the older I get the shorter the hunts get.:laughing: All in all about 18-20 hrs a week.

I would say my average would be 2 to 4 hours. Enjoying the outdoors and mentally decompressing is very rewarding. But seriously we all know we never stop hunting.
Reading the forums, vacant areas make us wonder what was or is there, google earth viewing, studying old maps and history etc. It never really ends does it? If so Im not there yet.

Yeah it just depends...if its cool and overcast I can go a lot longer than if the Sun is out...I go out very early and am home by 9-10..so 4hrs.....On a cool overcast day, a little rain spitting, like on a Sunday, where nobody is out at the schools and totlots and stuff, I can go 7-8hrs straight...Really its all about the conditions though, I run a route and see whats going on, any good cuts at the beach, any parties in the park last night, sporting events or festival tear downs, etc...

A good way to get a guy up of a morning out of curiosity and go see what happened the night before and what the day is shaping up to be..general scavenger here, cladder, hunter of all things of value...even empty cans..

In years past, the twosome used to keep to a strict summer treasure/salvage route, always ending with a hike on trails in a local state park. We almost always had the ten cent returnable cans bringing in more cash than the beach/water finds. Exceptions were when gold or bills were turned up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like a couple of others said here, as a senior citizen, stamina is a issue for me these days. The fact that I had major surgery back in November dosen't help.
Also if I'm having a good day, finding good targets, I'm motivated to stay out and swing longer. If I'm digging can slaw and pull tabs, I'm ready to go home after 90 minutes of that. And there there's the weather of course....I'm turning into a fair weather "fisherman" if you catch my drift.....it has to be over or close to 50 before I will go out.

HDD

yea lots of factors here

weather

mood

how much junk im digging

if im alone

but in general my hunts are 3+ hours at a time

Generally 2 hours although my hunting time has been slowly increasing over the last year.

When I was a young buck I hunted from sun up to sundown on weekends and 2-3 hours every day during the season (april-sept). I did that until I was about 50 and then slowly it got harder and harder to be out as long.

From about 54-58 was really tough as I was going through some physical issues. Not at 60 I'm starting to get back on my game and my want to hunt has increase dramatically over the last year.

Back
Top Bottom