Delta 4000 Chime In

soughtseven1035

Forum Supporter
Hey Guys,
I got my Delta 4000 today in the mail and I am ecstatic about using it. The owner told me to use Disc. mode at Sensitivity level 8, until I get used to the tones. I was reading the manual and it said that A1 and A2 mode have different audio cues. I eventually want to use it in A1 mode at Sensitivity 10. Wouldn't it make sense to use that mode and have the most practice with it? I hit a dime head on tonight. It showed up as a dime and then I used the PP mode. I narrowed it down and it said 3 inches down. Dug a small hole and sure enough it was dead smack in the middle about 3 inches deep. This machine is truly an amazing piece. I like to dig everything and then some, so I am just asking for your input with the way you started using this machine and how you use it today.

What you start with seems to be the one you stay with. At least for me. Could never get use to all metal. Just too much noise. Good luck

That is what I was thinking as well. Once you get enough practice with one mode, it allows you to search much better. I think I will stay in A2 mode. When the ground is less mineralized, I'll switch to A1 for that extra depth.

I use Discrim with Iron notched out. I switch to A1 to check iffy signals or large item signals. If a very trashy area I also notch out foil and aluminum. I run the sensitivity as high as I can in any given area.

No war relics in my area, but probably do miss out on larger relics and artifacts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was at a park I am familiar with today. The ground is soft as some spots, not in other spots. I was basically using the Delta 4000 in Disc. Mode with Low Disc. and High Sensitivity. I could actually search fine at around 11 sensitivity in some spots. Other spots were filled with trash and it was picking up every single beep. I lowered the sensitivity in those spots and could search it nicer. The A1 mode is nice because it allows me to pinpoint and search at the exact same time without doing anything. In places where there is so much trash though, it's unbearable. I'm finally getting a decent feel for the machine.

Took my new 4K out last night for the first time. BIG difference in "ease of use" between the 4K & the F2. With the F2, I just Disc out iron & foil & it's off to the races! (Still picks up larger iron, but at this point, I've only found junk iron & half a horseshoe.) When it comes to jewelry & coins, I could nail down a 2" target & then use my PP. Easy.

The 4K so far is making my head spin. Literally. Had a VERY hard time using the menus to figure out Disc & Sens levels. Is there a "General use" settings you guys use to eliminate most of the junk? I found $.33 in clad over an hour & 1/2. (Most of that time spent getting to know the new gal.) Usually, that's an easy $2.00 in clad for the F2.

One thing I've noticed already - even though playing with different settings between disc/sens, every piece of aluminum I passed over hit like a punch in the head! (Granted, a few were some thick aluminum channel for what looked like window casings around the school.):no:

Yes, I need to study my manual some more, but in terms of user friendliness, that goes to my F2! :?:

I usually used it in A2 mode which has better target separation and paid attention to the numbers. You get a little better depth in A1 and A2 modes I had the sensitivity as high as I could without interference. I'm mostly a coin shooter so I disc out iron, aluminum and foil.

I usually used it in A2 mode which has better target separation and paid attention to the numbers. You get a little better depth in A1 and A2 modes I had the sensitivity as high as I could without interference. I'm mostly a coin shooter so I disc out iron, aluminum and foil.
Gonna have to give those modes a try. Out again for about 2 hrs last night & another 2hrs this morning. Seriously struggling with it. I set it for the same Disc, knocked down my Sens to 6 and am STILL getting lots of iron - Did find a cool iron chain hook last night, but that's not what I'm after.

REALLY having a hard time trying to center a target with this thing. Looks like the same 8" coil that's on my F2, but have NO trouble getting about a 2" target with the F2. With the 4K, I'm getting tones within about a 15" radius. The only strong, clear signal I'm getting is when the coin is literally ON the surface, or no deeper than 1". I found ONE clad dime about 3" down & it was flat, about 2" from where the PP function said it was. Yes, it's really that bad.

I'm not giving up on it, but this is my 4th detector over the years & NONE have been this difficult to figure out. It's frustrating, especially being a techie!:?:

Was playing around with the A1 & A2 last night. Unfortunately, the area I've been hunting the last few days is LOADED with iron, tabs & cans. I did like the A2 mode & the next time I'm in a less junk-filled spot, I'm definitely going to give that one a shot.

So knocked sens down to 4, disc'd out everything up to zinc (80). MUCH better. Still finding iron down to about 8", especially if it's heavily oxidized. (A few pieces hitting at 90+ on VDI)

At those settings, at least I've learned to just pay attention to the sharp, clear tones - seems like the coil is SUPER hot. Managed .79 in clad going back over the same small areas I've hit the last couple days, so I know it's coming around.

So sent the 4K back to 1st Texas ~ it WASN'T just me! Heh. Bad coil & "Switch membrane"?

Anyways - I now know how the detector is SUPPOSED to work! Went back over some of the same ground I'd covered with the F2, as well as some I'd not gotten to.

Consistently finding clads in the 6"+ range where the Fisher was very faint at that depth. Using the PP feature, it's spot on. I'm sure I'll get better with the coil targeting, but it's definitely different than the F2.

Nothing notable, but came away with $3.58 in clad after about 2hrs. Stay away, Winter!

What I thought

I usually just monitor these forums. But I was just about to stick my neck out and suggest you had a bad D4k. I use a lot of detectors and find the D4k great for tot lots and park coin hunting. It really takes a while to get the A1 and A2 modes down. I think I had about 30-40 hrs. in the A1 mode b/4 I began to tune in to it. Glad your D4k is ok now.

I usually just monitor these forums. But I was just about to stick my neck out and suggest you had a bad D4k. I use a lot of detectors and find the D4k great for tot lots and park coin hunting. It really takes a while to get the A1 and A2 modes down. I think I had about 30-40 hrs. in the A1 mode b/4 I began to tune in to it. Glad your D4k is ok now.

Howdy! Well, Winter is officially here, so it's going to have to wait 'til Spring, BUT ~ the last couple weeks, I'd used the A1 mode almost exclusively. It seems to be a battery killer, but I'm LOVING that mode! The depth is incredible & the combination of the tone / VDI definitely forces me to dig more targets than in DISC mode.

Maybe I'll get to some warm-weather spot before May, but that might be the next time she sees daylight! :-(

Back
Top Bottom