potato

I am confused Simon, how do you clean a find with a potato?
Do you use it like a brillo pad, or use the insides to clean away the crud that builds up. Best of luck if your going to try it. smg

you just slap the coin in the potato, some kind of something happens to it chemically I guess. Maybe we should all carry potatoes in the field. If we dont find anything, at least we can eat :lol:

I tried ammonia and all my coins turned orange. I now use the hydrogen peroxide method, someone mentioned in a post, where I take a small bowl of it and heat it for 30 seconds in the microwave and then drop a few coins in it. It has been working great.
However, with my coins that I think are collectible, I just brush the dirt off with a tooth brush.

hello. i havent heard about the potato. but i have tried tabasco sauce on pennies and it cleans them up to mint condition.....i tried it on my clad quarters.....it ate the finish off of it :lol:....imagine what it does to your stomach!!!!!

I have allways had good luck with Potato's cleaning my coins. :lol:

I brought up the potato cleaning method in the old forum, after a freind of mine in another forum recommended the "tater treatment" for a crusty old buffalo of mine and some wheats.
I tried it [just stick the coin in and let it sit for a day or two], but didn't like the results.
Out of 3 wheats, it did remove alot of the gunk, but left two a sickly pumpkin orange color. The third was very good.
I forgot the results with the buff, or if I even tried it, but I would not recommend it for copper.

Back
Top Bottom