Trouble digging plugs.

OK, I'll probably get some raised eyebrows about this one. It worked for me really well back in the 80s. I haven't done much MDing since and where I live now, the soil in the back yard is rather bare of grass. I'm going to have to start doing some digging in the front yard where there is grass to see my 'method' works up here in this different soil type or not.
I like to use a piece of fiberglass that is tapered or sharpened to a point. I actually used an ice pick for quite a while until I realized that it could scratch the target. I probe around and if the target isn't very deep, I try to 'pop' it out. If it's deeper, I use the probe to make a slit in the grass about an inch and a half long. I then work the grass back some to get an opening to dig through. I try to probe around and locate the target, and if I can't pop it out, I use a tablespoon and a paper plate to get the soil out of the hole enough to reach the target. Then all I have to do is pour the dirt back into the hole and kinda pull the grass back together as well as I can. This used to work very well for me and the buddy that I used to MD with.

OK, I'll probably get some raised eyebrows about this one. It worked for me really well back in the 80s. I haven't done much MDing since and where I live now, the soil in the back yard is rather bare of grass. I'm going to have to start doing some digging in the front yard where there is grass to see my 'method' works up here in this different soil type or not.
I like to use a piece of fiberglass that is tapered or sharpened to a point. I actually used an ice pick for quite a while until I realized that it could scratch the target. I probe around and if the target isn't very deep, I try to 'pop' it out. If it's deeper, I use the probe to make a slit in the grass about an inch and a half long. I then work the grass back some to get an opening to dig through. I try to probe around and locate the target, and if I can't pop it out, I use a tablespoon and a paper plate to get the soil out of the hole enough to reach the target. Then all I have to do is pour the dirt back into the hole and kinda pull the grass back together as well as I can. This used to work very well for me and the buddy that I used to MD with.

I do the same thing for real shallow targets where there's not much grass to hold a plug together. Just open the ground gently above the target, use my finger or the point of my digger to get under the target, and pop it up. Once the target is recovered it's easy to put the dirt back in and press the cut closed.

Where there's good grass I cut standard plugs, and I've found it's easier to keep a slightly larger plug from falling apart than if you try to make them too small.

Back
Top Bottom