Diamond and gold testers are not my new best friends

StPetePaulie

Bought a gold testing kit and a diamond tester and now I know that this beautiful ring is fake a.f. ...(FAF).....but the tiny silver turtle is real. The other way around would be better but I do like turtles ! The fakeness of the ring is insidious, though. There are three hallmarks...that cannot be made out without a loupe....which I also bought. With the loupe I can see that they are not even marks...they are just made to appear like something that might be a mark, if you could see it in a different light. It did avoid me having to hunt down the previous owner of the ring....begrudgingly...because if it were real it would have been a huge loss for someone. I like to think I would have done the "right thing"...but.....never know for sure. Added another 1.89 to my change jar...so getting close to 50 bucks in there for the last couple of months. My goal for the year.....200.00 in change....WOW....that's the first MDing goal I've ever set ! Feels good.

Attachments

• pretty fake ring.jpg
    pretty fake ring.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 386
  • turtle.jpg
    turtle.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 380
Man, finding a ring is such a catch-22. We go long periods without finding anything. Then we are happy to finally snag something shiny and round. Then we are disappointed to find out that shiny and round is just costume. Bleh.... :laughing:

Best $5 I spent was for a china 30x magnifying glass with light. For $5 extra I got the diamond tester. Only issue was waiting 2-months for them to arrive...but yeah, you can find out real quick if its good or a whammy! :cool3:

But not all real diamonds test positive on a cheap chinese tester ;)

:D True. Whenever I test a stone, I first test a real one and then test the stone in question.

There are usually tells as to whether or not the stone is likely to be real or fake. If you have a plated ring, you probably have a glass stone. If you have silver, likely to be CZ. If the ring is gold or plat, take some time to assess and verify with a jeweler.

But not all real diamonds test positive on a cheap chinese tester ;)

why would you put that thought in my head ? I had to spend another 10 minutes testing stones and comparing them to ones I have of the same or smaller size. Still not real !

I'm sure all of us have had the same experience, first the holy chitt!! then the geez hpe it's real then !!!!. even though it's fake I always say-it's better than a pull tab:laughing: hang in there the real one is the next target

Don't forget, China probably made the ring too.

That was my thought. It's got a lot of nice detail in it...trying really hard to pass off as real....I imagine lots of people get ripped off buying fake jewelry....'cause it looks really good. I mean I would still pay a few bucks for it... to be used as a "fake wedding ring" for when you don't want to wear the real stuff....you know...because you're planning on being robbed at the bank or something... :0) So I'll probably save it forever just in case my son one day needs a fake engagement ring for some reason or another.....never know.

That’s one cool looking turtle. Is the tail a loop for a chain?

R5

That’s one cool looking turtle. Is the tail a loop for a chain?

R5

I know ! I was happy to find it. The head is looped for a chain and maybe I will be wearing it the next time I go because I am still trying to figure out what I have that will end up being my lucky charm....it's not any of my hats or shirts...maybe it's the turtle..we'll see.

I'm sure all of us have had the same experience, first the holy chitt!! then the geez hpe it's real then !!!!. even though it's fake I always say-it's better than a pull tab:laughing: hang in there the real one is the next target

It is better than a pulltab...but I just joined the local metal detecting group and if you take a baggie of pulltabs to the meeting, it qualifies you for a raffle ticket to win a piece of silver....and they donate all the pulltabs they collect to a charity and supposedly last year they donated three thousand dollars...which in my estimation is probably about a small mountains worth of pulltabs. Gives me another reason to dig those signals and not feel too disappointed by the tabs. Yes, the real one is definitely the next target. I'm sure of it !

Still a pretty ring- is it silver?

Turns out I was doing the test wrong. I think it is silver ! AND after straining my good eye through the 30x loop long enough with some decent light I was able to make out the 925 mark. First...the silver test....I found conflicting instructions as none came with my acids. The first one said if it turns cream colored it's silver.....but it turned red....or basically didn't change colors...the solution is red.....then I found a site that said that means it's silver.....so going with that and finding the 925 mark, I'm thinking it's silver. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. I wonder if they make the 925 mark so hard to distinguish because they want you to think it's white gold ??? Anyways..woo hoo ...maybe !

Turns out I was doing the test wrong. I think it is silver ! AND after straining my good eye through the 30x loop long enough with some decent light I was able to make out the 925 mark. First...the silver test....I found conflicting instructions as none came with my acids. The first one said if it turns cream colored it's silver.....but it turned red....or basically didn't change colors...the solution is red.....then I found a site that said that means it's silver.....so going with that and finding the 925 mark, I'm thinking it's silver. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. I wonder if they make the 925 mark so hard to distinguish because they want you to think it's white gold ??? Anyways..woo hoo ...maybe !

If it turns red its silver. The stronger the red color the more pure it is. If you found a 925 mark, definitely silver.

You can download a magnifying app on your phone if you don't have one already. Much better than a loupe. You can also take micro pictures of it as well.

. First...the silver test....I found conflicting instructions as none came with my acids. The first one said if it turns cream colored it's silver.....but it turned red....or basically didn't change colors...the solution is red.....then I found a site that said that means it's silver.....so going with that and finding the 925 mark, I'm thinking it's silver. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. I wonder if they make the 925 mark so hard to distinguish because they want you to think it's white gold ??? Anyways..woo hoo ...maybe !

The acid for silver will turn red on silver.
You can use 18K gold acid on silver and it will turn a shade of white, cream on your stone.

Back
Top Bottom