• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

the competition.. caught.. sand handed !

StPetePaulie

So I found a surf cam that looks right at the beach where I go do my morning MD ing. I was trying to find a cam that I could use to see the condition of the sand at the waters edge....not sure this one does that. However, while I was looking at the cam last night....around 11 pm....there were lights....scattered on the sand...moving left and right and left and right and...well you know. They were MD people !! A whole pack of 'em !!! What is the world coming to! :lol: It does explain the mysterious marks in the sand when I go in the mornings....and also makes me feel extra happy that I ever manage to find anything. I mean...I would do it....if I had any friends to go with...don't want to be out there in the scary dark by myself before all the mean people go to sleep. I couldn't go this morning anyway so I wasn't too disappointed. Still, I kind of wish I hadn't seen that. but also....when I do find things, I am now more likely to giggle with glee touched with a little "in your face late night MD dudes!" :lol:

Hate to rain on your parade, but those same MD'ers are probably monitoring that same cam to see what kind of traffic the beach has/had that day.

Just sayin'......Roger

Hate to rain on your parade, but those same MD'ers are probably monitoring that same cam to see what kind of traffic the beach has/had that day.

Just sayin'......Roger

I know. It was just a funny moment for me. Like I said , I would do the same thing, if I knew those folks and they would let me go with them. AND if they were my friends, I would still say "in your face" if I found something that they missed.....I guess I like to trash talk...always have....but it's all in fun.

WARNING ! Those may not all be detectorist. On a few popular local beaches here , this is what the tweakers do. Little flashlights scouring the sand for surface drops. Have run into many over the years and they are sketchy and unpredictable. You definitely want a buddy in this scenario. In the summertime , they sleep and campout under the staircases and rocks along the entrance. Guys detecting here at night seldom use their lights continuously. At least the smart ones. They don't want to be seen.

WARNING ! Those may not all be detectorist. On a few popular local beaches here , this is what the tweakers do. Little flashlights scouring the sand for surface drops. Have run into many over the years and they are sketchy and unpredictable. You definitely want a buddy in this scenario. In the summertime , they sleep and campout under the staircases and rocks along the entrance. Guys detecting here at night seldom use their lights continuously. At least the smart ones. They don't want to be seen.

Thanks KOB. That is something I hadn't thought of. I should probably abandon my plans to go out there late at night and introduce myself and ask if I can please be their friend???? :laughing:

Tweekage! It's funny because you think YOU'RE on a mission to find something?! These little chemically challenged individuals are on a HELL BENT MISSION to find ANYTHING!. OCD mixed with the finest narcotics all in one! And as mentioned be cautious. Some are like Pitbulls looking for their bone. When it's found you'd better not even make eye contact!

Some think a scoop is enough protection. It's not. Bring a well maintained 4"+ pocket knife, some waterproof pepper spray, a fully charged headlamp if at night and your cell phone!
Don't let people get TO close to you and don't mistake friendly for victim hunting. Off topic a little I know but I've seen/heard and nearly been in a few run-ins while hunting.

Only in Florida 😬:laughing:

that seems like a shot..is that a shot ? LOL....I don't care...I'm a Texas boy...currently displaced.....for an undetermined amount of time....I do like the beaches much better here, though....that's for sure.

Tweekage! It's funny because you think YOU'RE on a mission to find something?! These little chemically challenged individuals are on a HELL BENT MISSION to find ANYTHING!. OCD mixed with the finest narcotics all in one! And as mentioned be cautious. Some are like Pitbulls looking for their bone. When it's found you'd better not even make eye contact!

Some think a scoop is enough protection. It's not. Bring a well maintained 4"+ pocket knife, some waterproof pepper spray, a fully charged headlamp if at night and your cell phone!
Don't let people get TO close to you and don't mistake friendly for victim hunting. Off topic a little I know but I've seen/heard and nearly been in a few run-ins while hunting.

Now that's a shopping list I need to get busy on. One swing of my stainless steel scoop and I'd be left without much energy....so....pepper spray, a blade, maybe an air horn, and the all important "throw down guy"..you know...the one you can outrun......that's not just a Texas thing is it ???

If they get close enough , I will ALWAYS make eye contact. They need to know I see them and they see me. Besides the scoop for defense is a high powered flashlight. These freaks and tweaks don't like being blinded in the darkness. This , I have found is my best defense. But you always need situational awareness.

2 years ago , I'm at Carlsbad at 3am. Nobody on the beach. From afar , I spot one slithering his way over to me. This guy is in his 30s , smaller than me , but was in a business suit with no shoes. He had sand all over him and tweaked out of his gord. Weirdest , unexpected guy to see. I had just dug a few freshies in the dry and he wanted to find some. I said there's more in the hole and that's where I left him. He was digging like a dog. This was in the same area where a detectorist was attacked a few years prior that was all over the news.

If they get close enough , I will ALWAYS make eye contact. They need to know I see them and they see me. Besides the scoop for defense is a high powered flashlight. These freaks and tweaks don't like being blinded in the darkness. This , I have found is my best defense. But you always need situational awareness.

2 years ago , I'm at Carlsbad at 3am. Nobody on the beach. From afar , I spot one slithering his way over to me. This guy is in his 30s , smaller than me , but was in a business suit with no shoes. He had sand all over him and tweaked out of his gord. Weirdest , unexpected guy to see. I had just dug a few freshies in the dry and he wanted to find some. I said there's more in the hole and that's where I left him. He was digging like a dog. This was in the same area where a detectorist was attacked a few years prior that was all over the news.

Now these are the kind of stories I would like to hear !!

This is the kind of thing that makes me think we need a national death penalty for drug distribution and selling, even if only small lots.

Roger

So I found a surf cam that looks right at the beach where I go do my morning MD ing. I was trying to find a cam that I could use to see the condition of the sand at the waters edge....not sure this one does that. However, while I was looking at the cam last night....around 11 pm....there were lights....scattered on the sand...moving left and right and left and right and...well you know. They were MD people !! A whole pack of 'em !!! What is the world coming to! :lol: It does explain the mysterious marks in the sand when I go in the mornings....and also makes me feel extra happy that I ever manage to find anything. I mean...I would do it....if I had any friends to go with...don't want to be out there in the scary dark by myself before all the mean people go to sleep. I couldn't go this morning anyway so I wasn't too disappointed. Still, I kind of wish I hadn't seen that. but also....when I do find things, I am now more likely to giggle with glee touched with a little "in your face late night MD dudes!" :lol:
my spots... every square inch of the beach is hit before sunrise. :facepalm:

That's gotta make it tough, Steve....unless you're the one hitting every square inch of the beach before sunrise ???

anywhere from 10 to 20 a night hitting a spot the size of a hockey rink. if its dark at 8... they are done by 11. every night. every beach. every square inch.
people say Florida has the most hunted beaches... that's no longer the case

Last edited:
anywhere from 10 to 20 a night hitting a spot the size of a hockey rink. if its dark at 8... they are done by 11. every night. every beach. every square inch.
people say Florida has the most hunted beaches... that's no longer the case
Sounds pretty bad Steve. As I recall, you have also said that some of them are pretty rude and aggressive as well. I think that we often have a tendency to see some great posts of finds and say to ourselves, "I wish I lived in Florida or in Hawaii or ____________." Well, I have thought that at times but really I am pretty happy with the hunting grounds that I have. There are a lot of detectorists here but many are not "hardcore" hunters and so there are opportunities for those willing to put in the time and effort. However, Australia sure looks inviting! :roll::D

Back
Top Bottom