WW2 Truck

blackbirde01

I dont have a Metal Detector.. yet... still saving money for one. About 4 months ago me and my buddy were visiting my Grandmas farm (long past its glory) and I went outside to an old shed that was falling apart to look for a rabbit cage I had set in there 10 years prior. I started clearing out the shed with a spade because it had been covered by a foot or so mud from a flood a few years back from the hills. I hit something after about 20 minutes and started levering it out. It was like a foot long and a very light but sturdy iron with a green paint over it. I wedged it out and threw it to the side not thinking much about it. I kept digging in the mud and hit another thump. This one was a 6-8 inch same colored piece of metal but I noticed a wheel hanging off the end.

Stumped at what it was I went and grabbed the hose and sprayed the huge mud clump off for like 20mins until I realised it had a red decal with yellow writing on it that said Wrigley Express. after anotehr 10 mins or so I got it all cleared of mud and realised it was a really old big toy truck. I cleaned it the best I could. One side the decal looked like it was scrapped off, I'm hoping not from my water pressure. I quickly sprayed the other one thinking I had two trucks. This one was more scratched but perfect frame. I got it all cleaned and realised it was a semi trailer like thing and it had some pretty cool logos on it. I shook it and it had a clunk noise in it. The back had two doors with a little hook to close them and the top came off like a tin canister. I opened it and inside was a bunch of 1920's wooden child play blocks and a few wooden string spindles. This thing was really cool, seemed almost 100% intact. Decals were worn and their was paint ware but it seemed really rare.

I looked it up online and found no hits at all. Then one day while watching American Pickers frank found some beat up toy made by Buddy L. He was excited and I looked up on ebay "Buddy L Wrigley Express" and low and behold I had found a pre-world war 2 toy truck apraised around $1,000 restored $200-600 in worn condition. I was ecstatic.

I asked my grandma if she knew anything about it and none of my dad's siblings had anything like it. Were assuming whoever had the house in the 1940's must have left it on the hill and it got washed down in the flood a few years ago.

I took it to an Antique store and the guy offered me $250 for it. I sadly had to take the offer to pay for school, but just knowing I found something so cool made my day and ever since then I have been a huge fan of searching for hidden treasures.

I dont have pictures of it but I found similar.
truck.jpg

Wecome to the forum! Sounds like you're in the right place. Think of what else could be burried around that truck.

Wecome to the forum! Sounds like you're in the right place. Think of what else could be burried around that truck.

I know :( if only I had a metal detector lol. Ordering a Garret ACE 350 in a week or so hopefully. My grandma even said that my uncle lost his filled piggy bank in the 70's somewhere near the house and we have a general consensus of where it was, just no way to be sure. Theres a huge cement porch and its hollow underneath *I have a feeling its under there lol*, just cant crawl in it anymore, child size.

That's about the best piece of MDing without a MD I ever heard of. Just think what you can do with the 350! :-)

Back
Top Bottom