MONTANA, (march update)

DustyRoundup

Howdy all,
Well the other thread is getting a bit long , so lets start with a new one.

I confirmed on the phone, with the Landowner, of the "STAGE STOP " site, that we can hunt it.

Heres the deal. As soon as he's done calving , I have to meet with him , and I have to have a witness, as to the fact that I am accepting full responsibility. That I am LIABLE.

He is not going to charge us , but " if we find a pot of gold , he wants half"

Concerns of his are,
WEED seeds: :from our vehicles ,on his ground. I suggested we could walk
in ,and maybe let 1 vehicle ferry people back and forth.
he said he has a way to do it,

Holes: : He doesnt want holes, that a cow or horse can trip in, so we
have to treat it like a park in town.

Grass: :Its pretty hard to grow out there, so he's concerned about
the damage, so we'll have to do plugs, like we would in a park
And , he asked , me , if I'd follow you all around , and sprinkle
a little grass seed in areas we dig. I agreed, and I would hope
You all would help, by doing this also. Grass seed is light .

Junk: : If we dig up a piece of junk, it has to go out. and if we see a
piece of wire, or junk on the ground, to please haul it out.
Basically , anything that could cut or trip up a cow/ horse / tire

I agreed to theses things, and I will assume the responsibility to make sure they are fulfilled.

If you all still want to do this, I guess you'll have to agree to follow suit.
I dont really want to do this guy wrong, when he is nice enough to let a group of people , that he doesnt even know, play in his pasture.

And I dont want to spend extra days of my time cleaning up.

He also agreed to us using his ground, for the Competition hunt.

I asked for either the first or second weekend of june, he agreed.

So thats set.

Now , the Forest Service, and camping out.

Originally, I asked to camp AND do the COMP, hunt. and was directed to the head Geologist of ALL areas. And was told NO.

I called the District in question again, and asked STRICLY, camping, one night, "whats the number? " I was told to call a guy tomorrow.
And I will.

otherwise, we could do as Montygarlic suggested , and split up. As there are numerous campgrounds in the area. and there are numerous "campsites" along the road into the campground.

I'm doing my best to keep us close, so we can have that BBQ.
(I found out , that Montygarlic actually has a secret recipe BBQ sauce, and its on the Market. He will probably bring some..)

Oh , last but not least, I talked to Tim from "Team ATC"
(They put out the "Extreme Metal Detecting Videos")
He said they would donate a few items for prizes, and if they arent off running around the country, they will be there.
He said they would help newb's with tips etc.
They are also carry some metal detectors and related gear, and if they cant make it, he said i could bring some stuff, in case someone needs a pro pointer or something.

We've got a bunch of OLD coins, for the hunt, Silver Dollars, Indian head pennies, Buff Nickels, V-Nickels, an old worn out standing liberty quarter?
a few "STEEL Wheaties 1943, and some older wheaties.
And there will be more i am hoping.
I also have a few ladys prizes, so if the wife wants to come along , we have a few prizes for them.

It should be FUN !!!!!!!!
its all coming together.
so we need to figure out which weekend ??????
the "first" or "second" weekend in june.
Or should we let that ride depending on weather?

OK WHEW!!!!! I'm done for now.

Dusty

OK

Yeah, Silversmith.

I was thinking along the lines of painting a few pennies, to be a trade off for the steelies.
That way, all pennies will be dug,
Same for all vauable coins, indian heads etc.

Dusty

Good Work!

Well, Dusty:

Seems like you've done a bunch of good work here.

I wholeheartedly endorse and subscribe to your agreement with the landowner; all of those things are things that responsible MD'ers/TH'ers should get in the habit of doing anyway. We can mix up a batch of grass seed, starter fertilizer and soil to spread liberally in areas we dig. We should find out type of seed, etc. the landowner would prefer. Each participant should spread this mix everyplace we dig and even in bare spots where we don't.

I imagine the weather will do whatever it decides to do, no matter when we plan the outing.

I'll cast my vote for the first weekend in June, but will go along with the crowd, should folks decide a different date works better for them.

Cheers,

mg

PS - I definitely plan to bring some GarlicHead™ (both regular and spicy) for cooking, and for prizes, etc.

Howdy

Hey Monty,

Well, actually he said he'd have the seed.
He said , it might not work, but thought it might be worth a try.

A buddy of mine in town here, came up with an idea, that I'll have to ask the landowner about.
But the idea was , to put a "spreader" on the back of a 4 wheeler, and cover the ground that way.
I dont know , I guess we can see what he thinks.

I sure am glad you agree to the terms Monty, as I was concerned that some might think its too much.
I myself am fine with it too, and heck, its private, so we wont be bothered by "Agency's" LOL

Kansas Dave, Just c'mon up.

I was busy today haulin horses, so I didnt have a chnce to call the F.S. again.
I will call them tomorrow for sure,,

take Care
Dusty

I did some research for the campgrounds in the district around wisdom. it looks like it depends on what campground it is. seen it go from 4 people 2 vehicles per site to 10 people 4 vehicles per site. as long as the appropriate number of sites are paid for then there wouldn't be any issues. what was the name of the campground you were looking at? if it falls under the beaverhead/deerlodge national forest district office that is here in dillon, I could go down and talk to them in person. it's just a few blocks from my house.

the terms for use on the land sound completely reasonable to me, leaving it better than when we came can only bring good things for the group.

the 2 hot springs in the area

Elkhorn hot springs
http://www.elkhornhotsprings.com/

Jackson hot springs
http://www.jacksonhotsprings.com/

OK

Nice, dreadhippy,
Its good to see that everyone so far agrees to the terms.

So, I just got off the phone with the head of Recreation, for the N.F. in that area.

I got the go ahead, to camp, for our group of about 15 people I told him.
He said its a No FEE area, and they dont push anything as far as numbers.
he just said to not trample the grass too much, and park accordingly.
Basically, dont take up space in other campsites with extra vehicles.

So, Im glad I talked to someone else. the first guy always says NO to everthing it seems.

The only issue is SNOW, the guy said that the first week of june , it could be possible that we wont be able to get up there.
So, I will have a plan B and C, by then just in case.

Oh, and evrybody has said, the first weekend in june is the best .

So , lets just go with that
The first weekend in june, Big Hole valley, Pintlar Lake campground.

The stage stop site is about 5 or 6 miles down the dirt road from the campground, back towards the highway. Maybe 10, but I'll get maps together, to meet down there , next to the property.

We are getting above 15, and maybe close to 20 people,.
and its been brought to my attention, that maybe we should put a CAP on this ,
and I told the landowner, it would be around 20 people.

So, I guess I need to know, who's coming , and how many are coming with you?

Whew!

Dusty

I was at pintler lake july 6th last year and it was perfect, but I couldn't say for sure in june, haha never been down there earlier than july. glad you got ahold of someone else at the forest service also, thought that sounded strange the other guy telling you no to everything.

my wife might come with me but she doesn't have a detector. so probably just 2 of us coming with me.

I'm in for that weekend.

Also, am trying to get others to log on here at FDMF and onto this thread. That way they can speak for themselves. As it stands now, there are three definitely planning to attend from this area, besides me. There are three more possibles that I'm aware of. I'll keep you posted.

mg

Planning....

Well, it seems like lots of planning has taken place! Sounds good! The first weekend in June works better than the second weekend for us. "We are two" for the count and not sure, but probably part of Montygarlic's count 'cuz I told him we don't want to miss out on anything!

Thanks for all the planning being done and giving us the opportunity to join in! :research:

Lewisia

Well, it seems like lots of planning has taken place! Sounds good! The first weekend in June works better than the second weekend for us. "We are two" for the count and not sure, but probably part of Montygarlic's count 'cuz I told him we don't want to miss out on anything!

Thanks for all the planning being done and giving us the opportunity to join in! :research:

Lewisia

Yup! You are two of the three I mentioned as planning to participate. Thanks for posting! :D

:aok:
mg

Howdy

Howdy ,
Yep, I have the Polson crew down, and now I have Dreadhippy too.

I think we are at the max limit now, as the landowner agreed to around 20 people.
And we are at 21 or 22 if everyone can make it.

And Im sure it wont be a problem , if someone brings a guest , at the last minute.

Well, it looks like a good time. I talked with one of the guys that runs with the "Team ATC" guys.
He said he is coming , and he was going to make sure the main guys from Team ATC show up.
They had said they would donate some things.
But, they are a hoot !! Good Guys, and they do ALOT of detecting all over the states, so theres alot of experience there, and they said they would help by giving a "class" or whatever , to help ,, IF NEEDED or WANTED.

They arent pushy, so dont worry about that.
And , they arent "INTO" competition hunts, as they like to find it themselves, so theres no fear of them being top dogs coming to reap the prizes.
They have a site if you want to check them out.

anacondatreasure.com

Check em out, They are fun guys.

Well, Im sure we'll have more questions for each other as time goes on.

I'm going to send you a PM Lewisia, and Dread, with my cell #

Take Care
Dusty

OH

OH !!!!
I forgot,
heres a teaser for ya.
I was out there once last year, and I did find a wagon wheel hub.
I picked it up, but thought , "what the heck, more junk for the garage"

So I dropped it. It is still there, I am sure, in the sage brush.

So ?????????

AND, heres a bit of research /history,

The old stage line was part of the " Corrine-Virginia City" route
It came out of Corrine Utah, and somewhere close to Beaverhead rock , in Dillon, it forked, and one road went East, to Virginia City, then Helena
The other fork , went West, to Bannack, then through the area of our site, to Deer Lodge.
The stage lines went through 3 different ownerships, the last of which was Wells fargo.
Some of this info may be misunderstood on my part, so I am glad to be corrected.

I guess, back at a certain point in time, they would ship gold out of state, to be made into bars.
The stages ran 6-9 miles an hour .
and I think they said at one point , they tried to have a stop , every 12- 16 miles.
Some of the stops werent anything but a place to swap horses, and eat some beans.

Anyhow, thats about the best I have at this point.

Take Care
Dusty

Montana Roundup

Dusty, The Nippip crew is coming over from Bozeman! Thank you very much for helping bring folks together from all over our big state and let me know what I can bring or do to help out.

Regards,

Nippip

Nice

Very Nice Nippip,
It sounds like you mean , your family?
Great, and I stand by everything I said on the phone.
They'll have a great time.

I still need to email you like you said, and I will.

Check your private Messages, nippip.

Dusty

Thanks Monty

Thanks Monty.

LOL, I have been on to check my private messages here.
But, jeez, Its been a while since I checked in to this thread.

Spring !!! Lots to do.
and this dang SNOW not wanting to quit , !!! Arrgghh!
we had 4 inches here this morn.
But, it was gone by 4:30 pm

I will be cruising up to Pintlar lake, probably in 2 weeks, to check the road status.
And will post what I find..
Take Care
Dusty

Hi from Oregon. I'm planning a trip through Montana around the time of your event, and would love to hear when final dates and other info is announced. I may have missed the dates and exact location on my quick read through the post. Have these been announced?
Thanks much and happy hunting!

hunt

make sure you take junk,cows are very stupid and will eat anything.a bucket on back of 4 wheeler is a good idea.To bad hunts in montana.Havnt been that way in 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom