• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

An observation from a new detectorist

Even though about 95% of the time it is empty, I still check the Coinstar reject tray on the way out of the grocery store just in case :lol:

My daughter quickly disowns me if I so much as look at the ground when walking with her 😃😃

I find it kind of funny that I would walk right by change on the ground at a Walmart parking lot, but I'll get excited if I dig up a penny.

why on earth would you walk by change on the parking lot. Eyeball finds are the easy one. No digging.

and while you are in there check the coinstar return, good place to find silver dimes, quarters and even on a really rare occasion a 1800's coin.

I find myself metal detecting every parking lot. Since I started metal detecting nothing gets left behind.

Yep! Those parking lot pennies are easy StoopNGrabs! Its funny how a guy starts valuing coins when a fellow has to hunt wild ones and dig them...The easy on the deck freebies are so sweet!

I've even started a modified Coinstar reject tray hunting hobby by simply raiding the Take a Penny trays at the stores!! Talk about easy money! I've got a whole Take a Penny tray Raid route established...! Why dink around hunting lost dirt pennies? Good gosh!

All you gotta do is sort of distract the clerk, so theres a bit of timing and skill involved! I ask them to give me a price check on a can of chewing tobacco or something where they gotta turn their back...I snatch the coins out of the tray, and then politely say "Thank you", and leave..

I dont want to give the sport a bad image, so I dress nice, am polite, and always leave a few pennies behind for seed money!...:laughing:. If I ever get brave enough, I might go after the whole till one of these days! Or snatch the "Give to the Cripples" or "March of Dimes" countertop donation hoppers! That would be like a Bucketlist Hunt! Or maybe knock over a Salvation Army Kettle this year? The possibilities are so exciting! I suppose a guy could simply take a 5gal bucket, paint it red, get himself a bell, dress like Santa, and just go set up in a high traffic area? Thats probably OK...Then a guy wouldnt even have to bend over to pick up a parking lot penny or distract a clerk to snatch a tray! Just stand there and ring that bell for Old Glory! :laughing: Ho Ho freakin Ho!

Last edited:
Yep! Those parking lot pennies are easy StoopNGrabs! Its funny how a guy starts valuing coins when a fellow has to hunt wild ones and dig them...The easy on the deck freebies are so sweet!

I've even started a modified Coinstar reject tray hunting hobby by simply raiding the Take a Penny trays at the stores!! Talk about easy money! I've got a whole Take a Penny tray Raid route established...! Why dink around hunting lost dirt pennies? Good gosh!

All you gotta do is sort of distract the clerk, so theres a bit of timing and skill involved! I ask them to give me a price check on a can of chewing tobacco or something where they gotta turn their back...I snatch the coins out of the tray, and then politely say "Thank you", and leave..

I dont want to give the sport a bad image, so I dress nice, am polite, and always leave a few pennies behind for seed money!...:laughing:. If I ever get brave enough, I might go after the whole till one of these days! Or snatch the "Give to the Cripples" or "March of Dimes" countertop donation hoppers! That would be like a Bucketlist Hunt! Or maybe knock over a Salvation Army Kettle this year? The possibilities are so exciting! I suppose a guy could simply take a 5gal bucket, paint it red, get himself a bell, dress like Santa, and just go set up in a high traffic area? Thats probably OK...Then a guy wouldnt even have to bend over to pick up a parking lot penny or distract a clerk to snatch a tray! Just stand there and ring that bell for Old Glory! :laughing: Ho Ho freakin Ho!

Don't forget the collection plate at church! A little motivation to hear the Good Word too.

Don't forget the collection plate at church! A little motivation to hear the Good Word too.

Yeah? I thought about that, but who wants to go through all the proceeding gymnastics when a guy could be out ringing a bell for easy money?? "Up and down, flip the kneeler!" Its a lot of work! All sorts of secret Handshakes and mumbling and whatnot for to snatch a few collection plate pennies?

I aint in that kind of shape and I aint got the Time! Who does? A Pentechostal? An Alabama snake handler? Yeah...thought of it..The Big money during church hours besides behind the pulpit is out in the parking lot!...Looking for open cars and stealing sunglasses etc..Everybody knows this, I didnt think I would have to mention it....:laughing:.

You eventually start looking down all the time when you walk...anywhere.
You become shocked at what is laying in the ground that most just walk by and don't notice.
I have found tons of change, folding money too and a surprising amount of jewelry down there.

Those take a penny leave a penny cups they have near cash registers...I dive into them like I was Greg Louganis all the time looking for wheat cents and Indians.

Those Coinstar machines you see in Wal-Mart and other places have a reject slot that many don't check when they are done.
We check them, we don't care what others think about us if they see us doing that either.
Just another way to treasure hunt and finding silver in that tray isn't a rare thing.

This hobby makes us look weird in the eyes of muggles but ya know what...we are fine with it.

I always watch the ground as I walk . I have found some pretty amazing stuff including Gold by eyeballing. My wife has picked up the habit also she found a nice 10K ring in the parking lot of Wally World once.

Every Christmas at the same stoplight in Memphis there's a Santa and another guy in a Reindeer suit collecting change for Donner and Blitzens neuter fees. Santa rings a bell and the guy in the deer suit holds the sign and they get money too!!! Now that takes balls, (no pun intended)

Every Christmas at the same stoplight in Memphis there's a Santa and another guy in a Reindeer suit collecting change for Donner and Blitzens neuter fees. Santa rings a bell and the guy in the deer suit holds the sign and they get money too!!! Now that takes balls, (no pun intended)

Wow. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom