Redcoat in Yorktown

Redcoat

It's a pleasure to connect with fellow history enthusiasts.

Originally from London, England and have just moved to Yorktown, Virginia.

Quick question, is it hard to get permissions or find places that your'e allowed to detect in the East Virginia area? I see the park services and military have the area pretty well buttoned up!

Many thanks and happy holidays.

'Redcoat in Yorktown?' What! Again? :laughing:

Gaining private permissions should not be at all hard for you! If you pay attention here...In the tony neighborhood areas of gentrified VA...You would be of great interest to the Natives I would think, what with your English accent and all...So play to your strength! Wear a tweed jacket with leather elbows, dress like a professor of some sort and really lay on the English accent thick! You would be a Novelty of sorts! "Hey Honey, come here quick! OK, Say something in English!":laughing:

It would also be a great first impression if you drive up in a vintage MG or something similar, have a meerschaum pipe, a monocle, top hat, tails and spats... Work on your presentation a bit..."Excuse me Madame/Sir, I'm Professor Dumbledore From the Queens Realm, visiting the Colonies with keen interest of subsurface metallic Bobby dazzlers!... Might I give your Estate a quick brooming for Dazzy Bobblers or penny farthings or whatnot?"

Who would say "Getdahellouttahere!" with a pitch like that? Not in Gentrified VA! Sure, if you were in Alabama or even New Jersey I would offer different advice...In America, its all about the initial pitch and presentation directed in an effective and lucid manner to the local populace!! Modern College educated Americans with palatial estates in VA are mostly Govt People...Their understanding of Englishmen is pretty much limited to Harry Potter, James Bond, Game of Thrones, the Beatles, or Austin Powers...So study some tapes and play your part!

Word of caution, this will only work in Eastern VA!!!...Theres a lot of Irish in WVA, unclean and rude remnants of the potato famine, No interest in History, just blacktopping driveways and drinking and fighting...Were a proper English Gentleman to inadvertently stumble into there, you will most certainly get a well deserved bloody royal dirt road rogering with a pitch like that!!...just so you know...

Also, dont try this tactic in Detroit....or Philadelphia....unless you dont care about losing your Life as well as your classic MG...Hey, another thought! Since you are here in America, you may as well get yourself a gun! In case you didnt know, We all have them! Even the Kids! They are sort of an American accessory like a pinpointer, or cufflinks, or a hanky...:laughing:

Welcome to America and to the Forum! If you get in a real bind, as a Foreign Devil abroad in America with a funny accent, just say you are Australian or Canadian....I bet you run a Minelab right? Most Englishmen do....If you run into a Native American Metal Detectorist while out afield, just tell them you are a Member of the DMDC, or the Lucky Muckers!....They will be elated to make your acquaintance! As am I! :laughing:

Last edited:
I see you've met Mud-Puppy. It's somewhat of an honor to elicit such a commentary from him on one of your posts; especially your very first post! Good luck with the Redcoat thing. I admire your...uh...sense of spirit. I can offer no help with VA hunting grounds, but welcome to the forum!

I see you've met Mud-Puppy. It's somewhat of an honor to elicit such a commentary from him on one of your posts; especially your very first post! Good luck with the Redcoat thing. I admire your...uh...sense of spirit. I can offer no help with VA hunting grounds, but welcome to the forum!

Well hey? Just trying to help and keep the Forum and our Country safe! What sane Englishman would ever move to VA to hunt for pennies? I'm telling you! Its a Man Baby!:laughing: I really coulda had a lot of fun if the guy said he was a German! Or better yet a Jap! Or a Texan even!...:laughing::laughing:

Attachments

• man baby.jpg
    man baby.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 373
Back
Top Bottom