1785 French Sol

ollievon

Elite Member
Well, I had about 2 hours to myself on Saturday at the end of the day and stopped by a pumpkin farm for a permission, the farmer was totally fine with it and since the season is over he didn't care about me digging anywhere, winning!

So, after hitting about 20 pieces of can slaw my expectations were dropping fast for any relics...since everything sounded good (don't you just hate that?).

Between all the false v-nickels tones and dime tones I get a sharp quarter hit and just had to dig it, at about 8 inches down a nice copper coin pops out and I'm totally psyched. At first I expected a Draped Bust since the farm went back to 1799, but upon further inspection the profile was looking left, not right which was weird and there were Roman numerals which convinced me it was something far more unique.

Luckily the coin was pretty readable and dried quickly to reflect that it was a 1785 Louis XVI (16th) French Sol, a first! I think I'll be back to this farm come early spring, but a nice way to end the year for sure.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 198
I absolutely love it!!! Very old and French somethings you don’t see every day I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a 12 Sol a month or so ago. I thought it was a 4 Reales for about 2 weeks. For some reason I never really researched the coin thinking it was just another 4 reales... I see more Reales on this site than Sols, so I figure a Sol is a better find than a reale.

Deus Rules!!

Great play-by-play. And even though coins from 1785, for you east coast guys, is like wheaties on the West coast: I still liked the pix and story :friends: :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom