quick and easy fix for the NOX shaft wobble/rotation

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
A lot of us nox users have some shaft wobble and slight rotation. The problem I think is twofold:
1) The holes in the outer shaft are slightly oversized for the metal button that fits in them. Thus the shaft will rotate maybe an eighth of a turn or less...at least on mine.
2) The cam locks don't grip the shaft tight enough. This is especially true for the lower shaft which is made out of plastic which I think "gives" when the pad from the camlock tightens down on it since it's plastic and not aluminum. My lower rod had the wobble and not the upper rod, but I did my fix to both.

My fix:
I took some 3M super 88 electrical tape which I had on hand and cut a .75" x .75" square of it. (it's already 3/4" wide so just cut a 3/4" long piece)
I then took a pair of tweezers and applied the tape to the pad on the camlock. The pad is the part that rises when the camlock is tightened to press against the inner tube and hold it tight. I then took my finger and pressed the tape tightly to the pad...it's ok if it sticks to the inside of the tube too...in other words it doesn't have to be exactly the same size as the pad. Then I put the tubes back together and when I tightened the camlock I could feel it really tighten up on the inner tube. No rotation or wobble now. Don't know how long it will last, but it's very easy and cheap to do it again if the tape starts to wear out.

Teflon tape works real good. Just wind it a few times where the camlock is going to wind up. You lock it down its real tight. Now if I can find a way to stop that creaking armcuff.

Ok, after my tape shim fix to the camlock I still feel a very slight wobble. Yesterday I figured out it's the armcuff that's just slightly loose enough that it moves with each swing making it FEEL like the rod is wobbling. So last night I removed the screw, took the armrest off and put a wrap of electrical tape on the shaft where the front and back of the armrest come in contact with it. Now this thing is rock solid. To be fair to minelab, and I'm not playing favorites, I said the outer holes in the shaft were slightly too big and this led to the rotation that some are getting. Well, I looked at my fisher F70 and my tesoros and the holes in the outer shafts on those are also slightly oversized. However the camlocks tighten down tight enough on those detectors so that the shaft won't rotate that little bit. I could turn it slightly on my fisher, if I forced it, but it wasn't easy to rotate like on the equinox. But ever since I put that bit of tape on the camlock pad it's been as tight or tighter than my other detectors. So I think it's the camlocks on the equinox, not the slightly over sized holes.

So after all that, if you feel a slight wobble it may be the armrest. Might want to check it out.

Teflon tape works real good. Just wind it a few times where the camlock is going to wind up. You lock it down its real tight. Now if I can find a way to stop that creaking armcuff.

Sounds like the teflon tape is working for you. I would have thought that since teflon is so slippery that it would still slip. If mine ever starts to rotate again I'll either try the teflon tape or maybe try some of the old, black friction tape on the pad like I did with the electrical tape. Remember that friction tape? Used to tape up baseball bat handles with it back in the day:D

Take 2 peices about 15 inches of that tape and make you a couple rolls in a slight cone shape and then place each in your ears. noise problem solved:laughing:

Did you weight it? I wonder if the carbon fiber is much lighter?

Yes the complete carbon fiber shaft with locking lower shaft from an Anderson weighed 117.44 grams. The same stock shaft with camlocks weighed 185.64 grams. Both without lower rod, controls or arm cuff. Used the same of these anyways.

Back
Top Bottom