Sandwich Illinois

By the way, there is a sledding hill (used to be a Par 3) in the center of the forest preserve. The old tee off area now has a warming shed on it. The hill is very steep and hard to detect but the bottom area is flat. A lot of trash but we did find a few goodies. Happy hunting!

hi fred! they can have what we didn't dig at the f.p.

By the way, there is a sledding hill (used to be a Par 3) in the center of the forest preserve. The old tee off area now has a warming shed on it. The hill is very steep and hard to detect but the bottom area is flat. A lot of trash but we did find a few goodies. Happy hunting!

Interesting! Can you give me info on how you know that was a Par 3? Do you have more detailed info on when it was a country club?

The last couple of times we were there you could tell where the grass changed from being fairway type to a green type. I could actually tell where the old green used to be and where the old walking path to the next hole was. I also found some golf balls at the bottom of the hill while digging but they were newer like from the 50's or 60's. People must have hit off of the hill years after the old course closed. I live on a golf course and I have worked on a golf course in the past and if you know what to look for it is obvious. It is just my opinion and I have not found a course layout to back it up but I am 99% sure I am right. Happy hunting!

The last couple of times we were there you could tell where the grass changed from being fairway type to a green type. I could actually tell where the old green used to be and where the old walking path to the next hole was. I also found some golf balls at the bottom of the hill while digging but they were newer like from the 50's or 60's. People must have hit off of the hill years after the old course closed. I live on a golf course and I have worked on a golf course in the past and if you know what to look for it is obvious. It is just my opinion and I have not found a course layout to back it up but I am 99% sure I am right. Happy hunting!

I'm reading this post and all I see is scenes from "Caddyshack" in my head!

Thanks Fred!

Thanks Fred!

Your welcome. I would join you for the hunt but I already have other plans. I am sure there is a lot of goodies left to find in the preserve. We found Barber's, Washington's, silver nickel's and a lot of Wheaties, plus a few nice older relics like a 1927 Chauffer's badge and some rings. Happy hunting!

Hey, nice looking hat. Did that come with a bowl of soup? :laughing:
oh-it-looks-good-on-you-though-o.gif

Oh but it looks good on you though. :laughing:

Sandwich, Plano

yep... i lived in Plano for 7 years... i have hunted almost all the areas including the old plano train station grounds. I believe and think the old golf course you are speaking of if it is in Plano, is directly across from Klatt field,.. which I have hunted out... the old course was decommed. in 1890's and the new one built south of the Plano middle school in 1900... I have also hunted out the milddle school where i found 3 silver rings( 1 with stones in it), and like 50.00$ in clad. the OLD golf course in which i think you speak of is HIGHLY wooded now, and i have hunted the edges, where i found modern coins, and a space token signifying the spacewalk of Gemini X(young and collins)july 21... 1960...I found it EXACTLY on that date...on July 21, 2014... i found it july 21..54 years to the day!!..( though it says july 18-21 on the coin) However... if this is not the course you speak of.. i might join in as well although the Masters golf tournament is airing ...... Please keep us updated...as this wooded area is a spot i have on my list.

ICE

yep... i lived in Plano for 7 years... i have hunted almost all the areas including the old plano train station grounds. I believe and think the old golf course you are speaking of if it is in Plano, is directly across from Klatt field,.. which I have hunted out... the old course was decommed. in 1890's and the new one built south of the Plano middle school in 1900... I have also hunted out the milddle school where i found 3 silver rings( 1 with stones in it), and like 50.00$ in clad. the OLD golf course in which i think you speak of is HIGHLY wooded now, and i have hunted the edges, where i found modern coins, and a space token signifying the spacewalk of Gemini X(young and collins)july 21... 1960...I found it EXACTLY on that date...on July 21, 2014... i found it july 21..64 years to the day!!..( though it says july 18-21 on the coin) However... if this is not the course you speak of.. i might join in as well although the Masters golf tournament is airing ...... Please keep us updated...as this wooded area is a spot i have on my list.

ICE

I guess you hunted out everything....what awesome detector do you use?

i think between the 2 of us in just 2 of the researched areas we came out with 16 indian heads, and 10-12 silvers..(edit..oh and he found a large cent). and still have more hunting to do there

yep... i lived in Plano for 7 years... i have hunted almost all the areas including the old plano train station grounds. I believe and think the old golf course you are speaking of if it is in Plano, is directly across from Klatt field,.. which I have hunted out... the old course was decommed. in 1890's and the new one built south of the Plano middle school in 1900... I have also hunted out the milddle school where i found 3 silver rings( 1 with stones in it), and like 50.00$ in clad. the OLD golf course in which i think you speak of is HIGHLY wooded now, and i have hunted the edges, where i found modern coins, and a space token signifying the spacewalk of Gemini X(young and collins)july 21... 1960...I found it EXACTLY on that date...on July 21, 2014... i found it july 21..54 years to the day!!..( though it says july 18-21 on the coin) However... if this is not the course you speak of.. i might join in as well although the Masters golf tournament is airing ...... Please keep us updated...as this wooded area is a spot i have on my list.

ICE

Nothing personal man but there's no such thing as hunted out.... I hit parks in down town Chicago that have been hit hard since the 70's. Hundreds of people if not more have pounded them to death over the years. I still pull good old coins out of them every trip.

ICE

The Forest preserve this thread is baout that was once a country club is between Sandwich and Somonauk. I am certain many people have detected there but not so sure many went into the woods where the old fairways used to be. We will find out!!

The Forest preserve this thread is baout that was once a country club is between Sandwich and Somonauk. I am certain many people have detected there but not so sure many went into the woods where the old fairways used to be. We will find out!!

We will find some stuff buddy! Nothing is ever hunted out. Harder to find, choppier ID's, I'm sure. But hunted out? I'm not so sure.

Back
Top Bottom