Excalibur 2 reverse discrimination technique

Some of the beaches I hunt bleed iron... the iron mask with the GT lets the good targets come through before nulling on the iron... I have dug a number of gold targets mixed in with iron...

Uhmmm seems i have a lot to try then ... different modes to master

I came across this video. It was posted back in March with only 378 views. I am surprise of the low view because reverse discrimination technique is a big thing using it on the excal right! :D I'm posting this for you Excal guys who are just started using one or thinking of getting one. :yes:

I have an old Garrett Ground Hog MD and it has two settings VLF and TR. It works better than my new Garrett 2500. I have found more old stuff with the ground Hog. Most on this sight will not remember this unit.:lol:

I got a GT and a 12 x 10 SEF and that machine is a beast. I know it is deeper in discrimination mode. It also beats my Excal in depth. But if you are going to get wet the Excal is a great machine.

Same here Goodmore, that coil is like adding an extra 2" in depth. I added a remote
pp switch. Mine is deeper in pp by another inch,as long
as the volume is maxed out. Very fun set up ;)

I run a completely different machine but still minelab xterra 705. I notice my pin point mode runs deeper and I don't have to sweep. I can overlap my swing by double and no need to swing. It does not need to be swinging to pick anything up, just goes by proximity. I can go over black sand a lot faster covering more ground. Just throwing this info out.

Hit two beaches early this morning and tried hunting in all metal. It did result in deeper targets and they were all iron. Went back to the disc mode and put the machine away. Targets were minimal and the frustration level was high. Can't wait for winter to set in and then hit the beachs.

Hit two beaches early this morning and tried hunting in all metal. It did result in deeper targets and they were all iron. Went back to the disc mode and put the machine away. Targets were minimal and the frustration level was high. Can't wait for winter to set in and then hit the beachs.

Dan unless we get a storm to remove the feet of sand Sandy pushed in its going to be a meager water hunting season...

Reverse Discrimination hunting is Hot Joe, I have about 15 guys n 2 gals lined up for the remote PP this winter. Clive and BB Sailor started the fire many years ago with the discover that PP was deeper at most places and you can run it Hot....
OBN is right on the money! He did the PP mod for my excal 1000 and it is excellent! You really do get a bit more depth and width out of the coil hunting in PP then checking tgts in disc. It does a GREAT job picking up targets just to the side of the coil as you move down the beach swinging. I am constantly getting a good/faint signals off to the sides that cause me to stop, back up a step and move right or left and re-check. I have been finding MANY more targets using this that I normally wouldn't have heard.

Thanks Doc, The way you have to use Reverse Discrimination is like another tool for hunting. And with the remote PP and the Skullies or GGA's you have an advantage over all using excaliburs, and most other machines.

Been using PP for years

The old timer that got me started in MDing told me years ago that PP on a Sovereign was the best kept secret, as well as the most scoffed at technique there was. He said the only drawback was wearing out the switch. About 4 years ago, I bought a used XS2A Pro on Ebay with a remote PP switch installed. It has a jack in the back of the control box that allows replacement of the remote PP switch without going into the box. This setup has worked incredibly well for me. PP puts me over targets that I walk right over in disc. And with a little experience, you'll get to recognize iron in PP, also. The tone is cut short on both ends. I always check those signals in disc, just to make sure. The down side, if there is one, is that the time you'll take to "investigate" so many more targets significantly decreases the amount of ground you'll cover on any given hunt. The upside is how many times you'll be glad you did!

Back
Top Bottom