Tip on cleaning Indian Head Nickels

chase2b

First let me state that I do NOT take credit for this cleaning tip. I found this on another site and tried it. I just wanted to pass this tip on.It definately works.

If you have an Indian Head/Buffalo nickel that is corroded or you can't make out the date, place the nickel in Worcestershire sauce... overnight.

I had found a nickel that I couldn't make out the date. In fact, it was as if someone had "erased" the date from the coin. When I saw this tip I was skeptical but tried it anyway.
The coin sat in the sauce overnight and the next morning I was very surprised.
The date was clearly viisble... 1934.
Since I was skeptical, I did not take any before pictures but can assure you that this "sauce" did work.
The article did say that you may need to repeat the process for another night if needed.

Sounds possible

I do know for a fact that it brings out the taste in a nice steak. Most of the
overnight soaks in any thing that has a low PH can destroy what is left of the detail on nickles. I have a PH meter AND a fresh bottle of worcestershire sauce. I will check it out and report later....Gil

First report

I selected a buffalo that is in pretty tough shape. It do'es have a readable date, but for testing purposes, it should do. The sauce, the ph meter, a semi sterile jar, and a timing device. Admittedly, none of these items save the worcestershire sauce would be suitable for a true laboratory test. The PH rang in about the same as most vinegar based sauces and condiments. Roughly 5.2 on the scale. I was a bit surprised. I figured in the 4.0 acidic range. I did use the sauce a few days ago, and can attest it has a nice tasty bite.
OK, so here the test begins at 5:48PM. I will check it out tomorrow and report back with pictures and my opinion....;)....Gil

Attachments

• 100_4361.JPG
    100_4361.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 5,251
  • 100_4362.JPG
    100_4362.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 5,199
  • 100_4364.JPG
    100_4364.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 5,101
Results of test

This what came out of the jar after 6AM. It did'nt look quite right, so I am putting it back in for a couple more hours..:wow:...Gil

Attachments

• grilled_steak.jpg
    grilled_steak.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 5,365
OK

Results from overnight soaking in worcestershire sauce. The 1929 date was fully visable prior to first soaking. (I guess I should have taken a closeup of it, but) Today the first to digits are pretty much gone. 29 is still readable.
The reverse of the coin looks the same, with the edge starting to lighten up.
I put it back in the jar with obverse down this time. Stay tuned, for another report later tonight. I do have to say the nickle really has'nt changed much, with the exception of some of the rust going taking a bit of the detail with it.
Also if i might add, it has taken on a nice heady aroma.:wow:..Gil

Attachments

• 100_4369.JPG
    100_4369.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 4,977
  • 100_4370.JPG
    100_4370.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,953
11 hours later

The obverse is losing more detail. I can no longer read any of the date. The reverse has come cleaner, again at the expense of detail. I am ging to drop it in one more time, and show the results tomorrow. I will also do a blackened Jefferson nickle as well. Gil

Attachments

• 100B4380.JPG
    100B4380.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 4,966
  • 100B4410.JPG
    100B4410.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 4,948
fini

Last night i placed the buff back into the worcestershire sauce. I also added a blackened clad quarter, a blackened Jef nickle a wheat penny, and a stained merc dime. Here are a few pictures. The buffalo no longer has any evidence of a date. The quarter, nickle and penny all have the same feel as a book match scratcher. The dime silver, was pretty much unchanged, though it's surface texture feels rough as well.
Over the years I as many of you have heard about different results using all sorts of kitchen condiments as cleaning agents. We heard potatos clean nickles, Hot sauces, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, mayonaise, lemon juice, orange juice concentrate, etc. While most of these things do clean, they also etch the metal to some degree. If left to long can eat away the corrosion that holds the detail together. The condition of the buffalo at the start was very poor. It had a complete date when I started. The date was held together by the rust, and now it is completely gone. As far as restoring a date on a nickle, I have some, and beginning this week I will do the same test on a couple of them to see what happens.
Most of the items suggested to clean coins are acid based, and will clean, but
at the expense of detail and overall value of the coin being cleaned. I would not recommend soaking a coin that has collector value in anything other than olive oil. That would be only to loosen encrusted dirt. Rust and other toning should be left alone......Gil

Attachments

• 100B4422.JPG
    100B4422.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 5,056
  • 100B4442.JPG
    100B4442.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 5,014
  • 100B4460.JPG
    100B4460.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 4,965
Never eating "What,s this here sauce?" again. Stuff will eat a buffalo nickel away. Cant be doing my stomach any good..........................................

Best thing to do to get a date off a nickel is to use Nic-a-date. It doesn't eat the coin either.

Back
Top Bottom