Gold USAF Pilot ring

Jim Bob

Elite Member
I found this 20 gram 10K ring and have been trying to see if I could find some information. I talked to a retired Airforce Col and he said he thought the 51-B was the pilot training class, 1951 class B but where the training was and if in fact it was 1951 is the questions I would love to answer. The ring was made by Balfour and has the owners initials in it. We figure if it is a 1951 class the guy would be about 80 years old now. It would be interesting to see if anyone could answer any of these questions. I know so people really know how to research, but I am not one of them, so I ask for help. Thanks, Jim

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 4,580
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 3,643
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,792
Could it be that it might signify the P-51B Mustang aircraft? So a 51B pilot ring would make sense :yes:

Also noticed the roman numerals MCMXLVII = 1947... the year the US Air Force began (having been the US Army Air Corps before). Not sure if that means the ring is from then or if it's just part of the rings, having the date of the birth of the branch.

Last edited:

Could it be that it might signify the P-51B Mustang aircraft? So a 51B pilot ring would make sense :yes:

Also noticed the roman numerals MCMXLVII = 1947... the year the US Air Force began (having been the US Army Air Corps before). Not sure if that means the ring is from then or if it's just part of the rings, having the date of the birth of the branch.

You are right about the USAF being established in 1947 and I think that is what that signifies but my friend the retired Col thinks the 51-B is a training class of 1951. I did a google search with the information but didn't get any spacifice information. Thanks, JIm

Yep..searched too but nothing about 51-B class. You might want to contact air force museum, they might know. Oh and btw, did they use such rings back then? Maybe it is newer, like obtained for a reunion or like?

Voriax

Last edited:
Maybe this will help!

Get hold of Balfour - If you have questions about Balfour Military products, please contact us Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Central time at 1-800-521-9493. You may also email us at [email protected].

It could be a modern ring, it could be vintage - They will know!:cool:

Get hold of Balfour - If you have questions about Balfour Military products, please contact us Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Central time at 1-800-521-9493. You may also email us at [email protected].

It could be a modern ring, it could be vintage - They will know!:cool:

Thanks for the information Terry, I sent the photos to them today and will let you know if they can help.

GREAT DEAL !
It would be great to return it to its owner, or their family !!

thanks

Your friend is correct about it being the pilot school class. I know it's the wrong class, but here's a link which may help you get in touch with someone, who can help locate our serviceman who proudly wore that ring:

http://www.52-c.org/welcome.htm

http://usafpilotclass55-d.com/

Thanks for the information. I have just sent e-mails to both links and so the hunt goes on. It would be a great story to find this guy. I would love to hear about the day he lost it.:yes: Thanks to all who support our service men and women. Jim

Beautiful Ring !!

If you can't find the owner or family it will be a nice looking ring to wear. Hope to hear more on your progress. This is my current favorite ring find !
Nice work !!
Marty

Back
Top Bottom