AT Pro - am I doing it wrong?

BladeRunner

Okay, today I went on my first official hunt (not in my back yard).

There where were quite a few times when it would seem to give a fairly high tone while sweeping, but when I stopped and tried to locate the exact area, it wouldn't give me any reading at all.

Any idea what could be causing these false "good" tones? Maybe I am sweeping the coil to fast? I was in STD coin mode. I tried using PRO coin, but it seemed to be much noisier than STD. :(

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I had similar results when I started, doing it the way you're doing it. What works for me is Pro Custom, Iron mask set to 40, and manual ground balance regularly. It is "noisier" this way, but honing in on good targets and getting a two way signal becomes regular and you'll start digging more good targets.

I would run Pro Coin or Zero, audio off, disc to like 22....Then try it, if your swinging and hear a good tone, slowwwwww dowwwnnn and do 2" (or so) wide swing over that tone, does it repeat? Urn audio on, still nice tone?, turn 90 degrees, tone good? Dig

If there is junk, depending on what it is, it can give what seems like good tone, then disappear....If you listen real close (Or get time on the ATP) you will hear that it really is not a clear or perfect good tone, edges of tone will be rough....

Try this, get a penny, qtr, dime and couple nails (Rusty best) and lay the coins (no nails) out a foot apart, listen to the tones, in STD you get the bell sound vs Pro it is diff (More info to learn in Pro Mode)...hear the crisp tones? now lay nails on either side of a coin swing over it, hear the tones? also try diff speeds of swing, diff spacing between nails, hear the difference?

Jim

Back
Top Bottom