learning curve

K9Ace

Well I picked up my Garrett AT Pro yesterday but couldn't do anything with it until I planted 8 trees...By the time I got it put together it was almost 8pm. My son was more excited about it then me...5 y/o thinks we are going to find a gold with every beep. Anyway, it is more difficult to figure this thing out then I thought, the thing was beeping all over the place low 20s high of 92. I finally settled on one particular area of the yard that showed 92 at 2". Started to dig but I couldn't find anything...It got too dark and my flashlight holder (son) just kept shining the light everywhere I didn't want it so I filled in the hole and called it a night. I will be going back to that spot in the yard as soon as the rain stops today. I did spend some time last night to watch the DVD that came with it and picked up some tips so we shall see how it goes.:p

When I upgraded from my Fisher F2 to my AT Pro I thought the same thing. I was a bit overwhelmed at first. It beeped so much more them my F2. But over time I have learned to love my AT Pro. Here is a link to a couple of videos that I have made comparing the 2 detectors.
also think about joining this group

When I upgraded from my Fisher F2 to my AT Pro I thought the same thing. I was a bit overwhelmed at first. It beeped so much more them my F2. But over time I have learned to love my AT Pro. Here is a link to a couple of videos that I have made comparing the 2 detectors.
also think about joining this group

Thank you so much for posting this. I'll be upgrading my F2 to an AT Pro soon and need all the info that I can get.

So I got home and messed around a bit with the AT Pro then went out to get what ever it was in the ground last night out. Well found the spot and dug and dug and dug...it kept showing up as an 87-91 range...then it went away I went through eight inches by 6 inches of dirt and never found anything...ON to the next hole tomorrow.

I had an AT Pro but could not figure the thing out. All the different tones and I could not hear half of them so I traded it. It is a great machine for some people but was not for me.

Welcome to the Forum from Morris County, NJ. Hang in there. Learning any new machine can be frustrating. Be patient and you will be rewarded. I love my AT Pro and hunted almost four hours in the rain yesterday. Looking specifically for jewelry but found lots of pull-tabs and nickels. Lots of clad found when I dug the high tone. Lots of good videos on the AT Pro on youtube. Good luck and happy hunting. Matt

I don't have a pointer yet but I was wishing I did as I was digging through the mud. I will get a pro pointer in about a week.

One tip for you.

Sweep your coil east/west then sweep north/south, if the audio become broken and the numbers erratic move on.

What you are aiming for is the coil to lock onto the target by going in different directions with the coil...........Doug

AT pro help

I run the AT Pro. Got about 200 hours on my unit. Your right it is a challenge but be patient and pay close attention to what your unit is telling you. I'm in east central Alabama and our soils over here change like the weather. This will effect the unit a lot. Try this. Start up the unit. Leave it on the factory Ground Balance setting for now. Select Pro Custom Mode. Set the iron discrimination to 40. Notch out everything below 65. This setting will reduce all the chatter and will allow you to learn what the machine is showing you. Make sure you don't have the iron audio feature on. If this feature is on. It will sound like the unit is going to explode. Only use the iron audio on questionable numbers and with tones that have a small amounts of static or with inconsistent numbers. With this set up you will still get an occasional signal from large targets and bad soil but the unit will not lock onto them as easily as it will with the factory settings and such. Also run the sensitivity around the 3rd or 4th notch. the higher you run the sensitivity the more interference you will get. The frequency settings could effect the operation a little but not enough to matter. If you are running the big coil, sweep it slow. this will give the unit time to correctly process what the coil is sending it. If you don't have the small coil. You need to get one. When you do make it your primary hunting coil and the large coil should be used for rehunting behind the small coil and in areas that are open and not full of trash. Another thing, when pinpointing. Instead of doing the X pattern try this. When you get a good tone and you want to dig it, press the pin pointer button. While sweeping the coil from right to left, slowly, watch the signal indicator. Whenever it get to it's highest point stop the coil and drag it to you. watch the tip of your coil. When the tone stops the object its reading will be in the center and off the end of your coil. I find this much a much easier and faster way to pin point. If you have any questions at all I will be glad to help you if I can. You can e-mail me at [email protected]. Swing slow and get dirty..

Paw

Back
Top Bottom