Pinpointer tip protectors

davemercier

Top o' th' mornin' to everyone! I'm wondering if anyone uses those vinyl cap pinpointer tip protectors, and what you think of them? I'm curious as to how necessary they are, for preventing excessive tip wear on the pinpointers.

Never used or needed one. I don't use the pp tip for anything other than touching the ground lightly. If needed I would think truck bed liner would work well for that and to protect coils without a cover.

I ordered these off of Amazon. I don't know if it was necessary for me. I've seen pictures of tips worn through but I think you would have to use one a lot to do that. I do however really like the saw tooth part to mark where to dig.

I ordered the set off Amazon for $10.99. They fit the Garrett like a glove and so far haven't slipped or moved.

Cheers,
Ken

Attachments

• Pinpoint tip protector.jpg
    Pinpoint tip protector.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 704
Useless you dig with it or work in gravel and rocks. A PP is for detecting location. Be semi gentle and you won't wear a PP down. I never have in 10 years. I did invest in protectors when I started. It just lessened my depth, not worth it.

Waste of money!! Besides you want big copper just plan on digging a hole 4ft wide or bigger and 3 to 6 foot deep. If your going to spend some money then make it easy on us both just buy a backhoe :laughing: Yeah that's correct a backhoe :laughing: If your going all in with adventure ya may as well do it right!! We sure ain't spring chickens anymore :laughing: Oh ya ill drive down to pick it up for ya and ya may as well just leave it here so you don't have to haul it all the time. See im saving you a ton of gas that way and thats how you can convince your better half!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

In this neck of the woods if you mess with any kind of "hoe" you are label to end up in a hole that is 6 feet deep that the "better half" put you in.

I wear through the tip of my pinpointer every year. Garrett re-cases it for free for 2 years. The warranty ran out this year. I bought a new one. I don't like having a cover on it.

Top o' th' mornin' to everyone! I'm wondering if anyone uses those vinyl cap pinpointer tip protectors, and what you think of them? I'm curious as to how necessary they are, for preventing excessive tip wear on the pinpointers.

Don’t know if they’re necessary, but I have them on both of mine. They still fit fine in the holster and I have not noticed any loss of depth. So far the tips have help up well and I expect they will last a long time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-ORANGE-P...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I restate, "If you use a pin pointer to simply point, not dig or scrape" you won't wear it down,

Moving the loose ground around after the plug is cut is not digging. With a bit of tip protection those users can practice the hobby in their most comfortable method I would think. We all are not tuned to the exact spot where the "find" is hiding so a bit of searching the soil is very much in line to make a successful recovery. We all have out little quirks. That is kinda why they named it a "Pin Pointer" not a general area detector.

Moving the loose ground around after the plug is cut is not digging. With a bit of tip protection those users can practice the hobby in their most comfortable method I would think. We all are not tuned to the exact spot where the "find" is hiding so a bit of searching the soil is very much in line to make a successful recovery. We all have out little quirks. That is kinda why they named it a "Pin Pointer" not a general area detector.

Do you push your coils into the ground, ever? My pointers, all pointers sense detection with no digging AT ALL

When I got my Pro-pointer about six years ago I placed truck bed liner on it. That was about six years ago and it hasn't worn out. About a year ago a friend gave me a protective tip for it. I can't really see any difference.

Do you push your coils into the ground, ever? My pointers, all pointers sense detection with no digging AT ALL

Silly old me I do also have "coil covers" on my detectors and yes on occasion I do move loose soil with it when I am swinging. A lot of the so called pin pointers have such low sensitivity that a person needs to probe some areas a bit to make the final location of a find. When I moved from the Garrett pointers to the TRX (tip only) the need to poke around in the hole method method became just an occasional event. It would sense much deeper away from the soil and give a more refined location. Coil covers and tip protectors will be with me till I no longer can make it out to the hunting areas. Lets hope that some company takes over Whites production so that we will have a source for the TRX in the future. I do however have a new back up TRX with TIP COVER in reserve after Whites made their announcement.

Silly old me I do also have "coil covers" on my detectors and yes on occasion I do move loose soil with it when I am swinging. A lot of the so called pin pointers have such low sensitivity that a person needs to probe some areas a bit to make the final location of a find. When I moved from the Garrett pointers to the TRX (tip only) the need to poke around in the hole method method became just an occasional event. It would sense much deeper away from the soil and give a more refined location. Coil covers and tip protectors will be with me till I no longer can make it out to the hunting areas. Lets hope that some company takes over Whites production so that we will have a source for the TRX in the future. I do however have a new back up TRX with TIP COVER in reserve after Whites made their announcement.

I keep my coil covers on but I won't add any PPer condom. My PPer is a wand, period.

Interesting responses to this thread. If you detect very infrequently, a cover may not be needed. If you detect in very soft soil and/or use a giant shovel to cut a plug and remove the target, a cover may not be needed. But for many of us, we dig in rocky, hardpacked, tough dirt and it will eventually wear down. $2 or $4 cover is a no-brainer to protect $125 investment.

When we switched to the TRX, the case did not strike me as particularly heavy duty, so I used bought a tip protector...Not sure if I need it, but they are not expensive and certainly don't do any harm...

Back
Top Bottom