Selling bottles

Been collecting local dairy, soda, medicine, etc. bottles for a mere 25 years, and as already stated, bottle collecting is a dying hobby. Nobody under 35 years old would be interested unless the bottle could be used to take selfies.
The only bottles with any real value are the rare ones. I'll keep (and eventually try to sell) a handful of them. Because nobody that I know of would be interested in having the common bottles, they will be boxed up and left in the garage loft when i sell off the house and retire to another state. Maybe discovering them will spark someone's interest in bottle collecting.?.?.

welp the under 35 guy here already offered to buy them....

I'm under 35 and enjoy them as well. But my thing with most relics is I only truly enjoy things I find. Some pieces of history I'm willing to pay for, but I'd rather have the knowledge to know I found it.

I think a eBay or craigslist antiques section will be your easiest sales. Other than that find a forum that is dedicated to old bottles and their collectors

Been collecting local dairy, soda, medicine, etc. bottles for a mere 25 years, and as already stated, bottle collecting is a dying hobby. Nobody under 35 years old would be interested unless the bottle could be used to take selfies.
The only bottles with any real value are the rare ones. I'll keep (and eventually try to sell) a handful of them. Because nobody that I know of would be interested in having the common bottles, they will be boxed up and left in the garage loft when i sell off the house and retire to another state. Maybe discovering them will spark someone's interest in bottle collecting.?.?.
Agreed. Kinda like the high-dollar muscle car market, ok, the antiques market too, as the boomers pass on, car prices will plummet because the younger generation in general, is not interested.

Someone is buying. I took a look at eBay’s ‘sold’ listings and there were thousands of common bottles like screw-top 7” Bromo seltzers at $15 :?: The larger common pats like the Kennedy Medical Discovery are sold/shipped @$23. No rarities, but ten bucks here, twenty bucks there.

Looks like eBay’s the way to go to get the exposure to millions of people.
Question is, worth the time and effort to list and move the item?

Last edited:
Agreed. Kinda like the high-dollar muscle car market, ok, the antiques market too, as the boomers pass on, car prices will plummet because the younger generation in general, is not interested.

Someone is buying. I took a look at eBay’s ‘sold’ listings and there were thousands of common bottles like screw-top 7” Bromo seltzers at $15 :?: The larger common pats like the Kennedy Medical Discovery are sold/shipped @$23. No rarities, but ten bucks here, twenty bucks there.

Looks like eBay’s the way to go to get the exposure to millions of people.
Question is, worth the time and effort to list and move the item?

Good comments.

As far as value and selling, I mainly collect anything I like that piques an interest. Mainly just collect for enjoyment. I rarely try to sell anymore. I have given bottles away also at the local Flea.

The ONLY bottles I am SERIOUSLY persuing (and paying $$$ for) are additions to my locals collection, which consist of my town and the one next door. Those are my only bottles I care if I ever make money on if I ever sell 'em. If I croak and the estate sells 'em -- que sera sera. :lol:

Other (non-bottle) related items such as promotional items that the dairies, pharmacies, and soda bottlers gave to their customers may be easier to sell off.
I've collected numerous items such as dose glasses, rulers, calendars, a letter opener, signs, thermometers, baby bottles, pens and pencils, etc,. Of those, my favorite item is a printing block used to print the bottle caps for a local dairy....might just keep that.

About 5 yrs ago when I was still picking and selling at the largest weekly flea market in New England I cleaned out my grandmothers house after she passed at 101. I took all the beer bottles from the canning cellar to the market. Every one was pre 1900 to pre-prohibition 135 green, 104 brown and 98 clear. Nothing unique, some were porcelain stoppered. Sold them all for wedding decorations or art projects. $1 each or less if you bought a pile. Cleared in the neighborhood of 200 for 337 bottles.

Bottles, like any collectable, are generally collected by a certain generation that grew up with them or just people who love that particular thing.
Classic cars are very much like that, when people finally reach a certain age and have the money to buy the car they always wanted they pay up and get their childhood dream car. Most of the next generation has almost zero interest in the cars their parents or grandparents collected and the value drops.
Just think, what car poster did you have on YOUR wall growing up? When you hit 40 or so the values of those cars will generally go up. People are currently paying absurd amounts for clean unmolested original Japanese cars from the mid 80's, hard to find original unmodified examples...

Back
Top Bottom